Loss of Wireless Computer Communication Signal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just spoke to the tech department at Scuba Pro. Evidently using their web site is not the best way to contact them. I was told that yes indeed it is a problem with all of their AI computers and the user's guide makes no mention of the problem. Scuba Pro told me to take it back to the dealer for a full refund. Hmmm what to do, I already have an SPG coming from Leisure World.

I just spoke to the tech department at Scuba Pro. Evidently using their web site is not the best way to contact them. I was told that yes indeed it is a problem with all of their AI computers and the user's guide makes no mention of the problem. Scuba Pro told me to take it back to the dealer for a full refund. Hmmm what to do, I already have an SPG coming from Leisure World.

Does anyone have a dive computer they love? Suggestions?
Like I implied, I think it sucks you were caught off-guard by the interference issue. But, if you're already willing to use a non-AI computer, and the dealer you bought it from would be willing to refund you the full amount for the Luna. Then maybe they would also be willing to refund you the amount for the difference between a Luna with the wireless transmitter and one without. Consider keeping the Luna, the Luna and the Sol really are some good computers.

It seems as though some other computers do the same thing. But and that is a big but, not as bad as the Luna. Mine does not recover in a matters of seconds it can be minutes as I suspect every time I take a picture the transmitter is affected each time.
So due to that signal loss I never get my 750 PSI or my 500 PSI audible warnings. I guess it is easy just to say that signal loss is normal and we should expect and accept that. Personally it is not acceptable. Would you use a PSI gauge if it only gave you a read periodically? Of course none of us would. So why excuse hose less computers? Why should we accept a product that does not fully work regardless of the brand? It also would have been nice to have some warnings with the Luna owners guide and possibly even the camera manual. This is an expensive computer and I would not recommend anyone to waste their money buying it if you ever plan to take pictures. I am going to put a new face plate on it and will put it up for auction on ebay. What a waste.

I'd say signal loss may be normal but the frequeuncy of loss, duration of the loss and how the computer handles re-establishment of sync varies. A few seconds here and there doesn't effect what you must do to insure a safe dive.
After all we wouldn't dive with our SPG in front of our face the entire dive so seeing every second tick by on our PDC isn't necessary. What is necessary is knowing that the computer will recover from small signal disruptions and notify us of greater disruptions.
On the Oceanic models I own, a minor signal loss isn't a problem. A longer signal loss activates an alarm. In the course of normal monitoring of the PDC during the dive it is easy to see the sync status and pressure so even if you miss the alarm you see it the next look at your computer.
On the other hand a loss of signal for a few minutes can be hazardous. A computer that skips alarms due to signal loss can be hazardous.
When I was researching my first computer purchase I looked at how certain brands established sync. Oceanic's transmitter codes preset into the PDC is significantly different than Suunto's method of scanning for a signal. IMHO the preset is a superior method that reduces the risk of establishing communications with another divers transmitter and allows for faster signal acquisition and re-establishment after a signal disruption.

Photog dive buddy with Vytec DS had enough problems with her wireless transmitter that she uses an analog spg now. Based on her experience I spent the money on two computers for redundancy (in case I break on on a trip or something) rather than a fancy wireless AI.

Very good information. I guess the uwatec is not designed to alert you after extended periods of lost signal. If the signal loss was for a few seconds I would have no issues with this computer and could accept the problem. But, that is not the case with my Luna. I wonder if it is a problem just with my unit. I seem to always get the lemons.

It turns out I was mistaken about the strobe warning not being in the manual. The Sol manual (as well as the Luna one) does state that strobes could cause a "momentary" loss of signal. It's in Section 2.6.8 of both manuals. It's the section that talks about the alarm warnings when the signal is lost. Apparently it takes at least 30 seconds of lost signal before the alarms will go off and that's only if the alarms for that feature are turned on (the default setting is on for both an audio and visual alarm).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom