Just Certified . . . for scuba that is . . . Long Beach, CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Selchie in LB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello I just got certified for open water and went right onto Advanced. I have done 5 training dives so far. All beach dives. Can anyone suggest how the heck to get out of the ocean without falling? I have a full wet suit, 22+ lbs of lead, 80 steel tank, and my instructor says run!!! I don't think so. Someone suggested taking my BCD off and dragging it in! I don't think this is really an option because then I would never get it back on to go up the stairs. OH ya stairs. That's to get the next tank and dive again. I am doing my first boat dive this weekend and everyone tells I will never beach again after doing a boat dive. Being new that's probably not going to happen. I want to get in as many dives as possible without spending $100 plus to do so. I am happy to be certified and diving. I look forward to many fun dives. I have really enjoyed the forums and threads here and will continue to soak up as much knowledge as I can.

BTW I am a woman, Eileen

Welcome to the 'board and the underwater world!!!

Please feel free to drop on down to your new local forum and join in our fun here:

SoCal - ScubaBoard

Enjoy your boat dives this weekend...bunch of us are going over to Avalon to dive the park. Hope to see you in the water someday soon!

Hey joethesci. Congradulations on getting certified. Yeah those steps/stairs are a hassle for the knees and back, shoulders, neck, you name it. You will enjoy boat diving. Hope to see you out there sometime.
As dwaters has said, go the socal forum and join in.

I hope you mean 9 training dives - 4 for OW and 5 for AOW.

Come drop by our dive club in Culver City to meet new buddies. First Tuesday of the month, 7pm.

In fact, I'm going beach diving at Laguna this coming Monday July 5th.

Getting out is easy. Crawl. Then have your buddy help you stand up when you are out of the surf. Next is a bit more difficult. If you are going up then back down the stairs, leave the weightbelt down there. Fasten it around something so it doesn't "walk away". Or find a really good buddy who will help you up and down the stairs.

There is nothing wrong with asking for help when you are actually trying. I have issues with those who expect everything to be done for them. You don't seem like that type.

IN fact if you spring for airfare I'd gladly come out and demo entries and exits and help you with your gear. Only other expense would be food and lodging. Keep me at your place and cost there would be minimal. I mean you have to eat and sleep right?

Welcome to SB Eileen. I know what you are going through. I taught in LA & Orange County beaches for a couple of years. I had to learn techniques for not getting washing machined in the surf. I'm 5'1" and waist hi surf for the fellas is chin hi on me. So I couldn't just waltz out like the tall guys. I started watching & listening to more experienced gals. My biggest effort was required in knee deep water. If a wave caught me behind the knee I'd lose my balance, especially in that 1ft lip in the sand @ Redondo Beach. I can't lift my leg that high. (Some days it was worse than others) so I learned to just prepare to land on all 4s crawl out past the water & then stand. Not easy but worth it (and character building). Boat diving is easy, however there so many lovely shore dives in SoCal that make the extra effort worth while.

Have a blast!

Ps who'd you do your classes with? I might know them.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your certification! I feel your pain with the surf . . . I think I've gotten knocked down on exit about three-quarters of the time when I've done shore dives in SoCal. I think the key is practice, and hooking up with some experienced divers who can coach you through the process. You might consider posting in the SoCal forum, asking for buddies who can give you a hand -- I can think of a couple of small women who dive down there, like ligersandtions, who I'm sure would be happy to meet up with you and give you some tips.

You'll also find that, as you continue to dive, you WILL get stronger and the gear will get easier to manage. I couldn't climb out of a swimming pool with an Al50 on my back when I got certified -- five years later, I climb boat ladders in doubles. And I didn't hit the gym . . . I hit the beaches :)

I always keep my side to the waves and keep moving my feet as the water is receding--if you don't it will dig a hole under your feet (sandy beaches) and you will lose your balance. Don't move (other than shifting your feet) while the water is receding, and try to use the waves coming in to help you along.

Thanks for all your encouragement!

I have completed the 4 OW dives and 1 dive toward Advanced certification. I am learning through Pacific Wilderness and they have all been great! Chris, Matt, Josh, and all the folks at the store!

It's funny that you should mention crawl and then stand up. I have donned my gear sans tank and have been getting down on hands and knees and standing up. I also started doing squats to help strengthen my legs!

Small world. Give Chris a big hug from me...he DMed for me when I was a PacWild instructor last year. You'll get good training and advise there. Keep us posted on your adventures and progress.

Let me know when you come to FL so we can dive.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom