"Over-breathing your reg"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can overbreathe your body due to the situation you are in. Overbreathe a modern regulator? Probably not.

Technically that may be right, but it's the feeling of the reg's being unable to deliver air when needed that's the perceived problem.

Seadeuce

Yes, Seadeuce. Sometimes the feeling of impending doom makes a situation worse than it is.

Forgive me for being late on entering this discussion, but I feel there is a relevant point to be made.

The OP asked about how and if overbreathing a reg. could happen. The replies have explained - to some extent - the answer to his question. Rather than get all technical about regs and the mechanics of breathing I respectfully suggest that, if such a perceived problem were to occur, then pressing your reg purge button SLIGHTLY will accomplish two things:

(a) Overcome the breathing resistance needed to "crack" the valve's diaphragm each time you breathe;

(b) Supply an immediate psychological placebo in that you will realise all the air one needs is immediately available, hence overcoming the "escape to the surface" syndrome most people get with such an experience.

It works every time, allowing the "Stop, Think, Act" philosophy to be carried out with less anxiety - and more air!

If you want to test this theory, then "sprint" awhile when next you're on a dive. Then, as you begin to pant a bit, try the above.

Have been doing it for years where necessary, and always inform any students.

It can be a lifesaver.

Cheers,

Seadeuce

Excellent points. It also helps to position yourself horizontal so your second stage and lungs are close to the same depth. One foot of sea water, or .445 PSI, can feel like a lot sometimes. Go completely limp if your can. The cause is irreverent if you feel starved for air in the water.

Last edited:
When I am jogging and need to take a breather and I stop and am gasping for air and it takes some moments attempting to regain a semi normal breathing cycle what brand regulator am I using.

When the ocean takes you beyond your percieved control, even if you stop, you are still exerting non deliberately due to water movement and other encumberances. This causes a creeping fatigue which may lead to many other bad for staying under water things.

Just the concept of diving, despite the equipment and methods used to attain our aim suggest exertion.

Creeping like hypothermia.

Water movement and temperature, mask the level of our exertion.

It is keeping in check the uncontrolable.

It also helps to position yourself horizontal so your second stage and lungs are close to the same depth. One foot of sea water, or .445 PSI, can feel like a lot sometimes. Go completely limp if your can.

Yes, that will help. Less pressure differential.

If you are near the bottom when you feel you're overbreathing, it can also help if you have your knees drawn up towards your chest, i.e. in a kneeling position, crouched over. You will find normal breathing will return much faster as you press on that purge.

Ideally, the cause of the exertion should be addressed:

Swim diagonally across that current, not into it. Zig-zag your way forward.
If your good buddy is outstripping you, don't play catchup. Concentrate on your breathing while he makes his return.
If your thoughts play tricks - everyone is prone to this - then stop, say a poem or a prayer, whatever will divert those thoughts and allow normal breathing to recommence.

Listen to your body underwater, maintain two-way communication. This allows good reaction time and constantly upskills your awareness of the environment you're in, and it's effects on you.

The above are just some of the qualifications, through experience, in becoming an advanced diver.

Stay safe,

Seadeuce

BALLS.

STOP!!!!!!!!!! Grab hold of something if you can.

REMAIN IMMOBILE!!!!!!!!!! Calm yourself if you can.

YOU MAY DIE!!!!!!!!!!

Dumkopfs. Goosfraba.

My son & I intentionally tried to starve a reg (Oceanic) at 90ft. We both breathed as hard we could at 95 ft ... me on my primary, him on my octopus. Both regs performed perfect....no starvation. We figure the 1st stage was providing 8X the air it would need to at the surface

Joe

My son & I intentionally tried to starve a reg (Oceanic) at 90ft. We both breathed as hard we could at 95 ft ... me on my primary, him on my octopus. Both regs performed perfect....no starvation. We figure the 1st stage was providing 8X the air it would need to at the surface

Joe

Sounds like a worthwhile confidence builder. People can snipe about any methodology, but should be able to devise their own test that will satisfy their concerns over regulator performance. I am guessing your test has more meaning to you than a bunch of graphs off an Ansti simulator.

Almost every diver I've talked to about this subject has experienced "over-breathing", a near panic condition, or excessive C02 build-up. I'm surprised it isn't covered in most dive courses beyond a simple paragraph. As common as this is, and as "easy" as the mitigations are, you would think they would cover it better...perhaps even simulating what to do in the pool sessions (i.e. slow down, rest, fixate on an object, etc.). I think teaching people to slow down after a heavy exertion event would lead to less near panic events.

When mine happened, I didn't know what was happening (mostly). Because I wasn't familiar with what was happening, my mind began to wander and think of all sorts of other, less likely scenarios (e.g. medication side-effect, bad gas, heart problem, etc.). After it happened again, I sort of just figured it out and taught myself about how to prevent it. It wasn't till years later, on this board (a few years ago), that I learned what had happened, and that it was fairly common, even among divers with 1000's of dives.

Back
Top Bottom