Cozumel or Costa Maya? (nov)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In your case-I would do Costa Maya. The diving is not bad and about the only way to make going to Majahual worth while is if you're only going because your cruise ship stops there. Otherwise the place is a hole-in-the-wall. Once the cruise ships leave for the evening they pretty much roll-up the boardwalk and the place is deserted.

Cozumel on the other hand, would be a great vacation unto itself. And I would definitely wait until I could spend more dive days on the many reefs.

Cozumel will be awfully nice to get off your list!

Cozumel is a dive destination where cruise ships stop.
Costa Maya is a cruise ship stop with diving.

Cozumel has dozens of dive operators, dozens of dive boats, and thousands of divers each day on the reef system. Most divers are there specifically to dive and not on a cruise ship.
Costa Maya probably has only a few dive operators and only has divers who are there from cruise ships.

Both have their pros and cons.
I am hearing there are now over 100 operators in Cozumel. Truthfully, I have not dove Cozumel since 94 that was back when most of the car rentals on the island were Volkswagens. I did drive some tanks over to Coz 2 years ago to get hydro. It was hard to see much of the ocean from the street with all the cruise ships docked. I guess it is good for the nightlife. From my perspective, the diving must be similar to deer hunting at the rifle range, except any dive is a good dive.

Everyone's right... def Cozumel. I can recommend Dive Paradise. I've been diving with them since the early '80's. They work great with cruise ships, they have several shop locations that are near the docks in Cozumel, they have one of the best safety records, and you won't feel like you're on a cattle boat, like some of the other operators there.

Hi there, I am a diver who has done alot of diving. I do independant travel, group travel and I :confused: have cruised as well.

First off: Cozumel used to be, when I say that I mean pre Wilma and pre 3 min ships per day was dreamy and absolutely unbeatable. I took my PADI there at an amazing shop The Blue Angle Dive Shop while staying at the then Lorena Hotel. Fabulous.
I have been back and I do not plan to go back. Soooo many bad divers, some damage coming back, but still not what I remember and with so many places to dive I choose to not disappoint myself.

Second off: Mahahual, if you are on a Ship, any ship, and you book through the ship you are paying a premium for a quick in quick out cattle dive. The ships organize everything so they can maximize the time a cruisero spends on land, you book your dive they contract for you to be in and out in a matter of time, then you are to get back to the shops where they are paid commission for you to shop. This is true and why you will be asked "What ship are you on" whenever you purchase something close to the pier.

Third: Do your research. Mahahaul, the town you dock in which is found along the Costa Maya Coast is beautiful. There are at least 4 dive shops in the area. I was familiar with Dream Time prior to Dean, but have not returned. I personally would contact one of the shops, tell them I do not want the Cruisero Package I want a package where I go to the areas that are WOW, which by the way are not all to the South, I have seen alot of WOW to the North as well, but about 15 k - 20 k to the North. I have dove with a company that does service the ships, but I have always done it on my own with alot more enjoyment and great dives. The company I used was Blue Ocean Safari, I had my Regulator, but all the other gear was brand new and the staff was fantastic, I really did not have to do anything, but I want to set up my gear so I asked if I could do it. I did Chinchurro and I have done shore and nice dives, keep in mind they are about as deep in some cases as Cozumel as they share the same reef system, if you have great weather and November should be fabulous, you will see alot.

If you can book prior to docking, they will pick you up, let them know your dive wants and needs, mention you do not want a ship group and you wil be happy. Julie is the owner of Blue Ocean Safari and I appreciated the staff and my experience in Mahahual. After stop at National Beach Club and say hi to Anna and Evan the owners, Evan makes the best Margaritas in the Costa Maya.

Enjoy yourself, I would dive both, just to compare. Cozumel is a busy, crazy place it may be better to be underwater than above....OG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom