Bastianos (both Bunaken and Lembeh)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmont

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys, I've read over this board hundreds of times the past year and am inspired to dive in Indonesia. I don't have a lot of cash and don't need luxury/frills but I do want safe diving ops, good food, and clean rooms/bathrooms.

Bastianos seems to be more affordable than many places I've looked into in both Bunaken (Living Colours) and Lembeh (Black Sand, NAD, Divers Lodge). I've read over several posts and didn't seem to find anything real negative. Is it just a more "basic" resort than the others listed, thus cheaper?

1. For those who have stayed with Bastianos (both at Bunaken and Lembeh), can you give me both the good and the bad for both locations?

2. Are there other resorts in both locations that are comparable in price and quality to Bastianos?

Thank you for your time and advice, I really appreciate it. Am looking foward to the trip even if I don't know who it will be through!

Have stayed a both numerous times. Bunaken is more wall, coral, clear water. Lembeh is more muck, no walls, little coral, not much water clarify. Depends on your preference. Try both.

In Bunaken, the beach cottages are truly "on" the beach. Depending on high tide, wind, may cover your steps up to the porch. No aircon, think same for rooms above as well. Heat sometimes unpleasant at night, and wall fan does not penetrate the mosquito netting. If I stay here, I stop in Manado at Litton Electronics, buy a nice fan for $25, and place it on the bed. At end of trip, I give to my favorite dive guide.

Lembeh is much newer, more polished. Have two kinds of rooms, one set just above dive operation. They are the cheapest, no aircon or hot water, sometimes mosquitos. Cottages above are along hilltop, aircon, hot water, nice view of bay at night, esp. when locals are out fishing and the boat lights are on. These cottages, pool and restaurant are up a set of steps, maybe 40-50, which can be a bit of a headache for those with leg problems. Lembeh has NO beach.

Food and levels of service are equivalent, and people will do their best to accommodate. If you like Guinness, like me, kitchen staff will get for you in town and keep refrigerated.

By not staying at one of the more expensive places, you will see fewer Americans, more Indonesian food, and no one is going to take your special order for a hamburger with french fries. Beyond that, you'll not be seeing a lot of difference. Oh, these places also usually have special camera setup rooms, and Bastianos does not, though I don't consider this aspect very important. Plenty of space in room for this. Likewise, you usually see fewer experienced underwater photographers.

Oh, Lembeh is well protected by the surrounding mountains. In the winter Bunaken is impacted by the weather. Sometimes rough water, fewer suitable diving spots, and the wind blows all the trash from Manado across the water onto the beach. Every morning, the crew is out cleaning it all up.

In Lembeh, regardless of where you stay, you will still be going to the same dive sites.

Around Manado, Bastianos [both] is my favorite, and I think very good value for money.

We (3 divers) stayed at both resorts last August....first at Lembeh and then to Bunaken.
Lembeh was our favorite both in terms of diving and resort.

Both resorts offer A/C rooms. The budget rooms at Bunaken weren't very clean or comfortable and had no view, so pay the extra and go for the beachfront room which is lovely.
Both resorts had excellent fresh buffet style meals.
The dive masters were good at both resorts & the rental dive gear sufficed fine.
I highly recommend a night dive at both locales.

If you have alot of camera equipment/computer to charge, bring your own surge protecter power strip.

Depending on how much diving you're doing, Divers Lodge Lembeh could be fantastic. I went with my brother and we pushed their "unlimited diving" option to the max with 6 hours of dive time a day... And the facilities were top notch, the guides amazing, and the private boat was perfect.

HI I stayed at Lembeh Divers Lodge and I will strongly recommend this out fit as you get the best value for Money unlimited diving, flex diving times, own boat all catered for your own Lembeh experience. In Manado i stayed in the 4Fish guest house and used Thalassa dive center again very personalized good guides great value for money

Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate it!

Great input on a resort I have been eyeing up! Thanks Cmont and all others! An kudos to Kilili for the fan idea and generosity too!

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom