Where did I go with my force fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This video is an odd beast. I shot it with my new little Canon power shot S90 which is primarily a still camera, like the old one. As an artist I like to experiment and break the usual conventions on how things are supposed to be viewed and I don't have any training in film-making. The only thing I know is that I am very fond of Eastern European movies. I hope it makes you chuckle.

[vimeo]12853691[/vimeo]

That's me for now. I am getting ready to embark on a 6 days backpacking trip through old growth forests and mountain passes with a 60 year old woman. Unfortunately there won't be room for my Force Fins. It is going to be a real challenge to reduce the weight of my backpack as it is.

Wish my feet and knees good luck!

I am back! After passing the 'hiking test' (a short steep hike on a local rocky hill) I decided to give myself a treat and went snorkeling in Eastern Washington where temperatures were supposed to be above 80F!!!!

For the first time I swam with a Freshwater Turtle. At the beginning I was not sure whether I needed to use my Force Fins or not because the turtles were hanging around in two feet of water. Sam suggested wearing them just in case. After spending some time in really shallow water where I could touch the bottom with my belly I ended up pursuing a large turtle into deeper water and the fins came in handy to keep up with the wary reptile.

[vimeo]12932354[/vimeo]​

Last edited:
No pictures, buddy has the camera, but let me tell you where I went today. With Soakedlontra away on a long hiking trip, I had to fend for myself for a dive buddy. We usually do shore dives locally, but we also have a friend named Todd who owns a boat, and I went out with him today. Our first dive was at the Possession Point Fingers, at the southern end of Whidbey Island. We've done this as a shore dive, but this time we went a bit further south, and the wall seems to be more dramatic the further south you go. We dipped down to 90 ft. but stayed mostly around 50 - 60 ft. We saw a couple of shy ratfish, and a couple of pretty big Giant Pacific Octopus tucked back into their lairs. There was current at the surface, but none at depth. When I dive with Todd he takes the pictures and I'm the model. Maybe we'll have some pictures, after all.

Our second dive was at the southern end of the man-made reef off the west side of Gedney (or Hat) Island. We've dived further north on that reef before - a bunch of concrete columns and stuff, but this time the structure was more like metal poles. Plenty of plumose anemones covering them, and lots of rockfish, as were at the Fingers earlier. A nice, easy dive around 40 - 50 ft deep with not much current. Viz at both sites was in the range of 15 - 25 ft. at depth; almost nothing near the surface.

Every diver on the boat except me uses yellow Twin Jet fins. Todd expressed curiosity about my Force Fin Tan Deltas, and luckily enough our size is the same, so we swapped for the second dive. I have to tell you, those split fins are OK for going forward with a scissor kick, but that's it! I kept running into stuff because I couldn't back up, or maneuver in at all. I'd just have to push off the reef with a finger and swim around in a circle to get back to where I wanted to be. When I got back on the boat, I asked everyone, "How do you back up with those things?" The answer, from everyone all at once, was a resounding, "You don't!" So now I know. I didn't really grill Todd about what he thought of the Force Fins afterward, but he seemed to have a positive impression. I tried to get him to try going backwards underwater, but since I hadn't discussed it earlier, he didn't know what I meant when I tried to show him, especially since what I was trying to do was not working! He said, though, that he was curious about using the fins for work, where you really do have to be able to maneuver. Maybe we'll have another convert soon!

Last Friday I boarded the Truth boat from the Santa Barbara Harbor for a Santa Cruz Adventure day. Sibermike and his son were back in the states and they took time to visit us Force Fin Headquarters and as a bonus I was fortunate enough to spend the day with them above and below the water. It was a trip I will never forget. Sibermike told me well in advance how much he wanted to get as much diving in and with the energy between him, his son and myself we were in the water from dropping the hook to pulling it.
ms_truthffbdeck_bpm.jpg

A rare moment when Sibermike's Tan Delta Extra Force Fins were not in the water. We were fortunate enough to the best guard on the boat. This young Force Finner was in the water with his own Tan Delta Force Fins patrolling the dive deck and snorkeling around the boat the whole day.
msmsbpm_truth.jpg

Thank you Mathew and your Dad making it a day I will always cherish!

I look forward to sharing more soon, but as Don Santee , expedition Leader for Ocean Futures Society, just called me from the Gulf with a request I will be stepping away from the computer.
Safe diving!

My first long distance backpacking trip was awesome and a test in endurance and pain management.

I wished that my boots were as comfortable as my fins!

Feet_Boots.jpg

I wished my backpack were as comfortable as my harness and Back Plate/Wing!

Betty_BPack.jpg

The waist strap of my supposedly super-duper Osprey backpack for women hurt my hip bone so badly that I had to release the buckle and put all the weight on my shoulders! I also had to add a scarf under my left shoulder strap because my collar bone was hurting too!

At my expense I have discovered that situational awarness is really important while backpacking too especially if you go solo, as I did for three days. In difficult situations the well known scuba rule: stop, think and breathe can easily be applied to a backpacker. I found it out when I was faced with the challenge to ford a white water creek and ended up screwing it up miserably! Luckily I lost only my brand new sandals but not my health!

WWater_Creek1.jpg

My right foot got stuck in a hole and I went down in the water up to my waist. My right sandal slipped from my foot and voila'! How futile was my attempt to retrieve it with my hand without seeing anything! The power of the flowing water dragged it downstream as if it was a feather!

I really hope to have learned a lesson for above and under water!

Happy SAFE diving!

Betty_DivingL.jpg

Last edited:
The air was clear and bathed in soothing warm sunset light, the water was murky and foggy with a visibility of 4/6 ft (I could have scooped up the perfect plankton sample!). Its temperature was surprisingly warm in some spots and colder in others. However, the marine life was still there populating the dark holes of the tires, they warn out surfaces, the crannies of the rocks, the pilings, the sandy bottom and the eelgrass bed.

This site should be re-named CrabCity. I almost got intimidated by the crustaceans' vertiginous number.

What did I see exactly?

RocK Sole
Speckled Sanddab
Painted Greenlings
Crescent Gunneels
Saddleback Gunnels
Decorated Warbonnet
Black Rock Fish
Copper Rock Fishe
Brown Rock Fish
Buffalo Sculpin
Staghorn Sculpin
Red Irish Lord
Shiner Perch
Striped Perch
Blackeye Gobi
Pacific Snake Prickleback
Red ROck Crab
Dungeness Crab
Coonstripe Shrimp
California Sea Cucumbers
Orange Sea Cucumbers
Giant Plumose Anemones
Painted Anemones
Buried Green Anemone
Spiny Pink Stars
Sunflower Stars
Striped Star
Ochre Stars
Clams
Tube Worms
Giant Barnacle
Acorn Barnacles
Hairy Chiton

This is a bad visibility dive at Langley Tire Reef!

(I was glad that after 69 minutes I did have any blisters in my feet!:))​

Last edited:
You forgot the Squat Lobsters! I saw two on a pole.

Are you sure that you are not getting mixed up with something else?

On Wednesday I went diving there again with a new buddy!
I looked for them but I did not see any. The Sailfin Sculpins (one was a cute little baby), Tubesnouts ,a baby Sea Lemon,Quillback Rock Fish and a Ling Cod showed up, instead.

Thank you Kriss for the wonderful easy going and relaxed dive!

Back
Top Bottom