What to do when an instructor is out of line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funnily enough I've visited NYC and didn't experience that language amongst people I knew and mixed with, though I certainly heard it on the street. I'm sure NYC has its own share of articulate and inarticulate people, just like anywhere else. Doesn't alter my view that I don't regard it as a part of normal speech, nor do most people I mix with, and I do generally see it as provocative and confrontational.

Using "fu*k" as an undirected exclamation is much more acceptable than as above, because it isn't intended to be confrontational, but I still don't see it as necessary or desirable.

As to George Carlin, the fact that I've never heard of him is simply a statement of fact and not intended to be pejorative. I'm of British origin and I guess he didn't travel across the pond well.

As to George Carlin, the fact that I've never heard of him is simply a statement of fact and not intended to be pejorative. I'm of British origin and I guess he didn't travel across the pond well.

You guys didn't need Carlin ... you had Benny Hill ... :rofl3:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Are you F**king* kidding? The man was a genius.

And whilst I can be articulate when necessary, the F-bomb does enter everyday speech.

*couldn't resist

I'm quite insulted. There is simply NEVER a time when vulgarity is acceptable. I don't care the situation. That any of you find it even remotely acceptable tells me that you are not people I would want to associate with. I never use that sort of language. NEVER. And during a class I make sure all the students understand it's not acceptable during the class. I have no problem politely refunding their money, minus deposit, if they cannot conform to those standards for the duration of the course. What a perfectly sad world we live in that any sort of foul language is "commonplace".

I'm quite insulted. There is simply NEVER a time when vulgarity is acceptable. I don't care the situation. That any of you find it even remotely acceptable tells me that you are not people I would want to associate with. I never use that sort of language. NEVER. And during a class I make sure all the students understand it's not acceptable during the class. I have no problem politely refunding their money, minus deposit, if they cannot conform to those standards for the duration of the course. What a perfectly sad world we live in that any sort of foul language is "commonplace".

Looking at your profile, I see that you are in the Air Force. It's been awhile now, but I seem to remember a certain amount of profanity during my time spent in the Army. Not a whole lot, but perhaps every third word, and if it was coming from a sergeant, maybe every other word. I'm guessing that this distaste for profanity must drastically limit your associations within the military.

I feel the same way, possibly more so, about "LOL".

The F-bomb barely registers when other people use it in conversation around me. It's just another word, but "LOL" truly is an obscenity.

I’m not sure if RobertCF is being sarcastic or not but ironically I knew a motor pool SGT that had the exact same attitude. You did not walk into his motor pool and demand to know where your F&*king vehicles were. He was well respected by all. So elmer_fudd, I understand where you are coming from but if Robert is series I suspect that his associations are not as limited as you might think.
As to George Carlin, I am not sure how ‘well educated’ he is. He is intuitive, smart, insightful and funny but well educated? Really?
I am not a prude and I think sometimes a well placed explicative is exactly what is called for. With that being said, I do question the intelligence/education of those who must speak as in SailNaked’s example. When someone speaks like that it is not your language that offends me, you just remind me of those people that must insert ‘you know’ and ‘like’ zealously throughout every sentence. It just shows an inability to express yourself in a meaningful way and I question your intelligence and education.
This is of course just my opinion, if you don’t like it f*&k off.

Back
Top Bottom