Massachusetts snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey. I'm new to this board. Been snorkeling around the South Shore for a couple years now, just this year I've gotten into spearfishing and lobster hunting.

I've been off Brant Rock the last week or so. Just got my lobster permit a day ago, so although I've seen a bunch, I've yet to catch one. Of course today I was out there for an hour and saw NONE. That's how it works I guess! Although I'm not that good at finding them while in hiding. I don't have a 'tickle stick', persay, but I've been using the sling of my polespear to poke around. Is this OK in MA?

I've been enjoying flounder all summer, with a tautog here and there.

I'm hoping to get a couple hours in tomorrow out there if anyone else's going to be in the area?

I was on scuba, but with a 7' max depth, I could easily have done without.

I've recently talked with my dive shop about doing a re-acclamation dive since It's been a while since I've been scuba diving but I'd still like to get in the water in the meantime. So if you're doing a dive like this in the future and don't mind someone freediving around you while you dive, I wouldn't mind tagging along. 12-20 feet is fine too.

Anyone else out there on the South Shore who won't be going too deep and don't mind someone tagging along, I wouldn't mind joining you.

It's difficult finding people who want to snorkel/freedive to depths greater than 5 or 10 feet and are willing to buy the gear they need to do that. I like the challenge of extended breath holding but would rather not do it alone.

This also might be a good opportunity for someone who want's to go diving but no one is available to dive with them.

Thank,
Nelson

also try scusset jetty, park at scusset state park and walk down to the beach next to the jetty. Bring a flag with you and anchor it 1/2 way out. There is alot to see here, plenty of flounder, tautog, lobster. In can go all the way out to the end, just make sure it is low tide, 2 hours before low tide is the best time. Have Fun!

OK just a quick question. If you are free diving for bugs, don't you still have to display your permit #s. I was with the family at Scusset Beach down at the jetty grabbing critters for my kids to see.
Two gentlemen came along with catch bags and tickle sticks my wife asked me what they were going to do? And I said they were going to free dive for lobsters. At that she asked me where their numbers were and didn't they need to display them? I didn't notice any size gauges either.

hey everyone, knew too this forum as well. I am from NJ and will be up in fall river aug 22-24. Was interested in getting 1 decent dive in on monday. Any opinions or recommendations on spots or dive shops around fall river. I'll be goin scuba and on my 8th dive lookin for 30-40ft max.

Back
Top Bottom