Little Heiser "O2 med" tanks????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EastcoastdiverLLC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has anyone seen the below little Heiser "O2 med" tank before? I have two of them given to me by a student and was considering using them for drysuit inflation systems if its worth the trouble and I can find a suitable valves and have them hydro'd. One of them also has a small oxygen regulator attached (not pictured). I've come up with what I believe to be the meaning behind the stamps based on DOT markings but am curious as to what the group has to say on the matter.:D

They are stamped as follows:

840 V 0.8 - 300-1.16 SAUERSTOFF 200

02A2HEISER # 6 9862

5.88 TU 98

Any insight would be appreciated.

Click here for the image... Too big for the frame...

Thanks,
Gary

Last edited:
Depends on what the tank valve treads are. Most newer O2 tanks won't accept a scuba type valve. Older O2 tanks with 1/2" taper pipe thread can be used but you will need an older scuba valve from the 1950's and 1960's.

Since it appears to be an orphan tank that has somehow made it across the ocean, it will almost certainly use some oddball metric valve and you will not be able to find anything useful here. Valve size is usually stamped on the metric tanks, but I don't see anything there that looks like it.

Drager Dolphin rebreathers used Heiser bottles, with a small straight metric thread valve similar in size to what you have, but that isn't much help as they only fit the Drager regulators.

Since it appears to be an orphan tank that has somehow made it across the ocean, it will almost certainly use some oddball metric valve and you will not be able to find anything useful here. Valve size is usually stamped on the metric tanks, but I don't see anything there that looks like it.

Drager Dolphin rebreathers used Heiser bottles, with a small straight metric thread valve similar in size to what you have, but that isn't much help as they only fit the Drager regulators.

Thanks Oxy, I'll check out what threads I end up with, never know:confused: The valve is a WEINMANN Germany Valve and is stamped 1988...

Also, found this and it appears that these units are still available...

Back
Top Bottom