The great camera debate.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTrisha

Registered
Reaction score
I know enough to do point and shoot with some great outcomes, but my point and shoot has broken an eyelid and the lense is exposed. Time for a new camera.

I have googled, researched, and gone store to store, website to website. I have now got enough knowledge to be messed up completely.
1) How long have you been diving? 1995
2) How many dives have you logged? none over the past few years (no buddy)
3) How much experience with general photography do you have? Lots with p&S
4) Do you currently have a camera? Film? Digital? 2 digital
5) How often do you dive? Lots when I have a buddy
6) What type of diving do you mostly do? wreck, drift, basic
7) Where do you do most of your diving? Freshwater, great lakes, small lakes
8) What do you think you may want to photograph the most? nothing specific
9) Do you have an idea what you may want already? HD video, P&S with the ability to adjust settings. Land, air, water,
10) How much do you expect to spend? Can you afford? 500-800

Adding personal specifics. I also cycle, dive, canoe, camp, and usually have my camera hanging off my purse somewhere. I don't want to be in the middle of Algonquin and discover leaky o rings in a 'waterproof' mean I've lost all pictures. I also don't want to by a dive camera to find out that it takes lousy land shots.

The SeaLife DC1200 isn't HD.
The Panasonic TS2 might be great in a canoe, waterproof to 33ft, shockproof, but it won't give me dive depth and I read that the land shots are washed out.
My local dive shop sells the SeaLife DC1200 package or the nikon/ikelite package, but again the Nikon is the L22 point and shoot and not HD.

I also want to be able to edit pictures and movies. Movie maker doesn't read .mov videos.

Any advice?

Unfortunately your wishes do not really exist in solid form. The closest to your needs is a the Canon S90 or a G11. You might also look at the Oly ELP-1.

In the next few product cycles I expect a plethora of new mini sized interchangeable lens cameras like the Oly products.

The 800 dollars, not going to get you very far.

Sometimes it is best to have a dedicated underwater system and an entirely different camera for your surface adventures, sorry.

The lack of a buddy thing, never held me back, money, I sympathize as you have a lot of interests it seems, me too, bicycles, airplanes, boats, high maintenance. In my next life I intend to be rich or female and marry a rich man, perhaps that should be your tactic in this life. What can I say.

N

Thanks Nemrod. (That sounds rude somehow)
I was actually holding the G11 in my hands yesterday. They don't shoot HD vid and they shoot in .mov so you can't simply edit any video without a costly conversion program which I would need to factor in.
I may just end up getting two systems, but that would be such a waste and my hobbies tend to be contingent on carrying as few supplies as necessary.
As for the money, I could go a little higher, I was choosing preferred range.
I think I'll stick to my 'earn it myself' tactics thanks. :wink:

I ended up with the G11. I'll lose the HD quality but make up for it in photo quality. The housings are a respectable price to, so next month I'll get the housing. Thanks for the advice.

Good choice!
What housing would you buy?

Chris

Canon makes an underwater housing for this make. It is a WP-DC34 and runs just upwards of $200.

ScubaTrisha - go ahead and get the Ikelite housing, you won't be sorry. They are worth every penny. As far as not being able to shoot video - I have strong opinions about video shot with a still camera, it looks like s*** to me. If you want to shoot video, buy a real camcorder.

Just my 2 cents as an underwater photographer and videographer for over 10yrs.

robin:D

I would consider the Ikelite because:
- some Canon housings leak
- some Canon housings have sticky buttons
- some Canon housings deform deeper than 60'' and won't let you use some buttons/knobs
- canon housing has plastic buttons/knobs
- Ikelite housing has a full transparent thick wall, sturdy housing
- Ikelite housing has a 67mm tread to attach various wet lenses
- Ikelite housings have the most "fool proof" main o-ring system

Chris

ditto what Herraduradiver said, plus the fact that Ikelite makes housings for divers as their primary job. Canon makes cameras and electronics devices, housings are a minor consideration and they don't really understand a diver's needs.
Ikelite housings are sturdy, well-made to take the pressure and also a great customer service if you do have any issues. I doubt you can get ahold of anyone from Canon who knows anything about housings and underwater photo or video.

robin:D

Back
Top Bottom