Getting Started in Dry Suit Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tech3324

Lionfish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
After 30+ years of wetsuit diving, I'd like to tryout a dry suit just to see what it's like, with the possibility of buying one in the future. I signed up for a PADI dry suit class, did the textbook work, but the class was canceled before the pool session and boat dives.

Now I'm wondering how other divers generally get started with a dry suit. Do you take a class like the PADI, rent a suit and try it out, or wait for a demo day. My LDS said they would include a checkout with any DS purchase, but I'm not ready to buy yet, just want to try it first.

Any suggestions appreciated.

After 30+ years of wetsuit diving, I'd like to tryout a dry suit just to see what it's like, with the possibility of buying one in the future. I signed up for a PADI dry suit class, did the textbook work, but the class was canceled before the pool session and boat dives.

Now I'm wondering how other divers generally get started with a dry suit. Do you take a class like the PADI, rent a suit and try it out, or wait for a demo day. My LDS said they would include a checkout with any DS purchase, but I'm not ready to buy yet, just want to try it first.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I'm doing it the way you are - I figure I can rent my top choices after I get the cert card. I'm not ready to buy yet, or even for a few years.

The Demo days offered by DUI, Whites and maybe others are a great way to experience what's out there and get some good advice.

You can often get the DS course with the DS with some dickering. At the demo days they send a guide to coach you.

Pete

I agree with spectrum. Demo days are an excellent way to try out a dry suit and learn about it.

I did my dry suit class through SDI (which was really easy) and then did a demo of the Whites Fusion Bullet at a LDS. Through my dry suit class I used a rented Diving Concepts Trilaminate suit. The suit worked and kept me warm but wasn't the most comfortable or easy to use. I finally settled on the Whites Fusion Bullet because of how easy it was to use.

Definitely try to educate yourself as best as possible before making an investment in a suit. They aren't cheap and you're gonna want something that best fits your needs.

I used rental suit to finish the class, then spent the next several month to decide the one that I finally purchased.

Some shops offer free training with suit purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom