SOL/LUNA Deco questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

=C=

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The third planet (a smaller one but a nice blue hu
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hello,

This past weekend I did the following dive:

TBT 112 minutes max 17.2m (56FFW)

The profile was a slow descent to depth then a gradual ascent along the shore. The last 60 min was spent at 3m / 10ft.

Upon dropping to 17m the Luna showed 5 min to deco... Then it showed stop 8m for 1min and 3m for 1min... Meanwhile my buddy with a Mares M2 is showing 32min to first deco.

So by the numbers I should have at least 50min before a deco situation USN. I chose 04 safety level on the luna but now I think it is wayyy too conservative.

Is this a common experience for Luna/Sol owners?

You've got it set on the most-conservative level - drop it down to 0 and you will get plenty of NDL time.

Mark

Unless there's some need (old, out of shape, paranoid, etc.), you can probably just leave the MB setting at L0. L4 is definitely adding a high level of conservatism in to the mix. I think at L5 the computer makes you do deco-stops on the descent (I'm kidding of course, but not by much).

TBT 112 minutes max 17.2m (56FFW)
The profile was a slow descent to depth then a gradual ascent along the shore. The last 60 min was spent at 3m / 10ft.
Upon dropping to 17m the Luna showed 5 min to deco... Then it showed stop 8m for 1min and 3m for 1min...
I chose 04 safety level on the luna but now I think it is wayyy too conservative.
Is this a common experience for Luna/Sol owners?

I want to utilize the microbubble algorithms so I normally dive using the L2 settings. But I did a few tests using L4 on assorted profiles just to see how the times and stop levels would interact. And of course, you can always let the Luna dynamically cascade to a lower microbubble or L0 setting.

On the profile you describe, gradually ascending after hitting depth, even if you had gone into a deco obligation, I expect that these obligations would have cleared out as you continued to swim along at shallower depths. On similar profiles, this is what I experienced after letting my Luna slip into small amounts of deco and deep stops several times.

Back
Top Bottom