On becoming a Captain...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I think I would be a little bit upset if I paid for a drug test only to find out that I took an unapproved test or some idiot that was testing me didn't write down the prescriptions I am on.

It is a 5 panel test, they test for everything!

BTW, please ensure that the location you goo is offering a Coast Guard approved drug test. If not, you will be required to have it done over...

Actually, the 5 panel test only tests for 5 items,
* Amphetamines including Methamphetamine
* Cocaine Metabolites
* Marijuana Metabolites
* Opiates including Codeine, Morphine, and Heroin
* Phencyclidine ("PCP")

The threshold limits are very high so most false positives (poppy seeds, percocet, etc) are eliminated. Tylenol 3 will pop you, as will oxycodone, but if you're regularly taking those anyway, you might find you have a hard time passing the physical. The Coast Guard has tightened down on the physical requirements for licensed mariners, so those hard of hearing, too fat to get into tight spaces, or have a bad back that makes it too painful to properly supervise an abandon ship, for example, will find it difficult to be licensed. It's about time. I see captains that can't get out of their own way, much less help someone else in an emergency.

Well I do have a bad back that I will be getting a spinal fusion on in the next few months that should eliminate most of my symptoms and it should get me off of most of my meds but I can do anything anyone else can do, I can even do heavy lifting if I have to. What it comes down to is how much pain I want to put up with in order to do something, most of the time the pain comes hours after I "overdue it".

Right now I am on an extended release morphine and I have been for the past few months but since I have been on it for so long now it has no impairing effects on me at all.

I was a SWAT officer and I got injured on the job, I'm waiting for this surgery and my plan is after I get my medical retirement I'm going to finish up my DM and get my instructor cert, moving South and follow my dream, buy a larger vessel and run dive/ fishing charter. I always said I was going to do that after I retired I just didn't expect I was going to be retiring 10yrs early so as it stands right now I have about 1 year before I'm fully retired.

So unless there is some crazy super human physical test that I am required to perform I doubt I will have a problem with it at all. I should be able to perform any physical exam they can throw at me. Unless me being on a prescription for morphine is an automatic exclusion I will pass the drug test also...

If you have any problems passing the physical, send me a PM.

Depends on the size of the boat. Are you being paid to operate the boat?

Yes. Say, some fellow wants to hire me to "captian" his 48' sailboat around the islands for him while he, his family and friends are aboard. But since he owns the boat and is not charging anyone to come aboard, there are not actually any paying passengers.

Just curious what the letter of the law is here. I'm not planning on hiring myself out anytime soon.

Yes, for the situation you just described, you must have a Master's License

Yes, for the situation you just described, you must have a Master's License

This is the way I understand it as well - even though it is his boat, he becomes the paying passenger because he is paying you...

Not so sure about the masters license being required... so long as it is less than 6 people on the boat, plus you and crew, then a 6 pack (OUPV) is all that is required... (assuming the vessel is less than 100 GRT and 65 feet in length or less) in fact, to be picky about it, it has to be an inspected vessel if it is more than 6 passengers as well...

Couple exceptions here - none of this works if it is an international voyage - you must have a masters license for that, and there are a few other requirements as well... also, OUPV is only good to 100 miles offshore, Masters is to 200 miles offshore

Yah, I was assuming the owner, family and friends would exceed 6 people.

This is something I have looked at doing for quite some time. Nice to be able to find information that helps! Thanks!

Federal law (Title 46 U.S. Code, sec. 2101) defines a passenger for hire as a person for whom an economic benefit is contributed as a condition of carriage on the vessel, where that benefit flows directly or indirectly to the owner or any other person having an interest in the vessel.

In this case where a person is running a vessel on behalf of an owner a license is required because a fee "economic benefit" is being paid to the person running the vessel.

As a side note the fine for operating a passenger vessel without a license where an "economic benefit" is involved... Is a $10,000.00 fine per occurrence. In addition if they are not enrolled in a drug testing program there will be an additional fine of $5,000.00 per occurrence...

Back
Top Bottom