Scuba Diving...What Biodegradable Sunscreen to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zash

Registered
Reaction score
I read an article on biodegradable sunscreen (Biodegradable Sunscreen) and decided that it was the way to go during my scuba diving trip in Mexico. This is my first time scuba diving, so I don't really have any experience.

The article recommends: Soleo Organics, Keys Soap Solar Rx, TruKid Sunny Days Face Stick, California Baby Stick

Does anybody have their own recommendations? Thanks :)

Other than wearing a full dive skin and doing a good shower before going diving?

Protection from the Sun while in the water is more an issue than some may realize. It can surely affect you during your surface interval (SI) on the boat between dives.

A Lycra dive skin can really help, along with a head covering.

I don't know that BullFrog isn't biodegradable, but it sure isn't going to wash off your body after a dip in the Ocean.

Reef Safe is probably one of the most well-known as it is known to be biodegradable AND safer for corals.

And as mentioned already, covering up with clothing/hat while out in the sun and washing before going into the water (where possible) also reduces reefs and animals coming into contact with sunscreen.

Green sunscreen - protect yourself, protect coral reefs | Sea Forever

I definitely agree with the others in covering up as much as possible. I don't like dives skins, so I wear Solumbra Sea Legs and a rash guard in the water and always wear a hat and bandana around my neck on the boat--as well as sunglasses. As far as sunscreen goes, at this point I only need it for my face, hands and feet (when I take my booties off). I recommend California Baby and All Terrain. They both make pretty great products and I have had success with both of their sunscreens.

My wife and I having been using Mexitan brand for a couple of years now and it works pretty well. It can be a little gummy at times to put on but I haven't been on the receiving end of a sunburn. I believe they call their sunscreen brand tropical sands now.

I've used Soleo organics for several years and think it is the best sunscreen I've ever used. I apply it in the morning and dive all day.

I use Caribbean Solutions SPF25 sun screen. It works really well & won't harm the reefs.....

Thanks guys :) So far, I'm getting that I should make sure I'm really clean, put on some diving clothes and then I only really need sunblock on exposed areas like my face?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom