Miflex HP Blowout! Eeek!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The hose hung down with no stresses. Was SPG on my twins so from left post straight down.

It blew in three places at once, hence the fraying. Had no damage or fraying beforehand. Had been pressurised for about ten minutes before it blew.

Interesting thread.
I just switched the HP hose on my rec reg set to Miflex.
Since wife will be using this set more often, I'd better check on the hose once in a while.

I'm also concerned about the failure rate on the Miflex HP hoses. Already made the switch for my LP hoses, but have been reluctant to change out the HP hose, for this very reason. Might just consider trying out the new Phantom hoses.

A more recent innovation is double braided polyester hoses, these are a considerable improvement over the standard rubber hoses. The double braided hoses are more flexible, stronger and weigh less than standard rubber hoses but most importantly they are more durable. There are two different brands of double braided hoses: Miflex (made in Europe with CE approval) and Phantom (made in Asia, no CE mark). The Miflex brand hoses have been imported in to the US for a couple years and have been extremely well received, but are quite expensive when compared to standard hoses. The Phantom brand hoses are just now being imported into the US, but have been in other markets for several years, and are much more attractively priced than the Miflex. The Miflex includes premium packaging in a nice reusble dry pouch. The kevlar reinforced high pressure Phantom hose is a typical thickness that works better in boots and consoles, the Miflex HP hose is ultra thin and lacks the kevlar reinforcement. It's too early for a final recommendation, but currently we can't find any significant differences in quality between the two brands. We think double braided hoses are the future and will likely become the new standard for scuba hoses, completely supplanting the rubber hoses.

Phantom double braided high pressure hoses have an outer polyester braided cover that is laid over a woven Kevlar layer The Phantom double braided high pressure hose has a typical outside diameter that works better with hose boots and consoles. Every Phantom double braided high pressure hose is tested to 5000 psi and a rated burst strength of 22000 PSI. Fittings are made from quality chrome-plated brass. The typical high-pressure hose is a 7/16-inch male at the end that screws into the first stage HP port and a 7/16-inch female at the end that screws on to the SPG. Length is measured in inches, from end to end of hose, including the fittings and their threads.

Due to my height and the length of my backplate the 24" HP hose just reaches down to the left D-ring on my singles setup. Not tight between them but maybe a little tighter than I'm comfortable with now.

Might change hoses and save the miflex for doubles which will suit the 24" better and a completely straight run.

I'm also concerned about the failure rate on the Miflex HP hoses. Already made the switch for my LP hoses, but have been reluctant to change out the HP hose, for this very reason. Might just consider trying out the new Phantom hoses.

A more recent innovation is double braided polyester hoses, these are a considerable improvement over the standard rubber hoses. The double braided hoses are more flexible, stronger and weigh less than standard rubber hoses but most importantly they are more durable. There are two different brands of double braided hoses: Miflex (made in Europe with CE approval) and Phantom (made in Asia, no CE mark). The Miflex brand hoses have been imported in to the US for a couple years and have been extremely well received, but are quite expensive when compared to standard hoses. The Phantom brand hoses are just now being imported into the US, but have been in other markets for several years, and are much more attractively priced than the Miflex. The Miflex includes premium packaging in a nice reusble dry pouch. The kevlar reinforced high pressure Phantom hose is a typical thickness that works better in boots and consoles, the Miflex HP hose is ultra thin and lacks the kevlar reinforcement. It's too early for a final recommendation, but currently we can't find any significant differences in quality between the two brands. We think double braided hoses are the future and will likely become the new standard for scuba hoses, completely supplanting the rubber hoses.

Phantom double braided high pressure hoses have an outer polyester braided cover that is laid over a woven Kevlar layer The Phantom double braided high pressure hose has a typical outside diameter that works better with hose boots and consoles. Every Phantom double braided high pressure hose is tested to 5000 psi and a rated burst strength of 22000 PSI. Fittings are made from quality chrome-plated brass. The typical high-pressure hose is a 7/16-inch male at the end that screws into the first stage HP port and a 7/16-inch female at the end that screws on to the SPG. Length is measured in inches, from end to end of hose, including the fittings and their threads.

Thanks for the info. That's quite the Wiki-scuba :wink:

Since this is a safety issue I would think a recall was in order.

Adam

absolutely. the fact that XS is forcing consumers to contact distributors instead of encouraging users to contact them directly is irresponsible and not very comforting.

Mine does not leak nor blow out. but after pressurizing SPG does not swivel.
Is this common issue?

Mine does not leak nor blow out. but after pressurizing SPG does not swivel.
Is this common issue?

I do believe it is. It will swivel, but is extremely tight.

The Phantom hoses are nice, not so floppy and the the gauge still swivels. I like the Miflex LP hoses, but I went with the Phantom for the HP hoses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom