What does a DM make

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Thailand they charged you about 1000 USD for a Divemaster course. With 1 year unlimited dive with the dive shop. By working with them such as a dive leader and taking care of less experience diver. Also you must help instructor teaching most of the time.

After you finish your course you may offer a free diving trips but again you must help them organised the trip.

I also going for a divemaster course as well soon but I just want to learn it to let me know more. Instructor is too much for me at this time. But it may change after I finished my divemaster course.

Oh by the way, you will not get paid as far as I know in Thailand. Only free trips.

Bubbles?

Hhmmmmm... How about a great one night stand. Call me :wink:

I get LDS perks.

:D

Its basically a volunteer position and I have done similiar things in sports I have been involved in, coaching high school sports or being an official. If you really like the activity it is a great way to help grow the sport and learn more about it in the process. I learned alot about diving on my way to the DM course, I have learned substantially more on this course.

When you help to introduce someone to something you really love and they get enough of a glimpse to understand your passion for the sport, their real thanks and smiles are great to have.

when a shop charters the boat the most you can hope for is a free trip out of it but usually an instructor gets that.
I actually had to pay for my spot once. The shop I worked for didn't sell enough spots to break even. I was only paid if I was working in the shop, not on a boat.

Not a whole lot of money, but one advantage is that you can write off some of your dive expenses on your taxes. You can't do everything (just stuff directly related to your profession of being a DM) and you can't show a loss every year, but this does help a little bit. At least that's what the accountant who owns my LDS keeps telling me trying to get me to sign up for the DM class.

one advantage is that you can write off some of your dive expenses on your taxes.

What kinds of things are "written off" , and what kind of money are we talkin' about here Really? I've heard you can do this too, but I've also heard Republicans are for smaller government so... *shrugs*...

I actually had to pay for my spot once. The shop I worked for didn't sell enough spots to break even. I was only paid if I was working in the shop, not on a boat.

I had troubles like that with the shop I used to be with. It was always a battle when it came to payday. They'd pull stuff like "oh the trip was free but you had to pay the taxes" and things like that.

So DM make little to nothing and very few instructors earn much. You can't hardly drop a weight in the ocean without hitting a dive professional :)

There are some areas/locations in the Caribbean where a DM can make decent money in the neighborhood of $600 to $800 per week for most weeks but maybe not all weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom