How do you signal air remaining?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I hope I pointed out when this thread was active in 2005 :D, there are indeed a lot of ways of doing this. And even the "standardized" European way...isn't quite so standardized. Does the "time out" signal mean 100 bar, or half a tank remaining (which is what the Europeans always told me), or half of usable pressure remaining?

Important thing to learn is, this is one of the things that have to be agreed on when the dive plan is discussed, if you're going to communicate pressures. Underwater is a bad time to be figuring out what the other guy's signals mean.

By the way, I learned back in 1985 to do one finger for each 100 psi -- and you could use both hands. Ten fingers, then four fingers means 1,400 psi.

No time to read all this thread. In Belize it's universal to do it the way the OP described - the fingers of one hand on the (other) upper arm to indicate hundreds of psi, fingers held up to indicate tens of psi. Up to 50 uses one hand, 60-90 either using both hands or more commonly one hand held up twice (the numbers added together). Can be started with either hand. If in doubt I always ask to see the SPG, but part of the drill is not just to learn what the other person's pressure is, but to see if they know.

It's been so long since I had to tell anyone air pressure in the UK I can't remember how it's done!

Thats what I was taught in SLC UT.
I neglected to mention that there is one very large problem with doing the fingers on the arm signaling here ... black gloved fingers on a black wetsuit arm, does not a signal make :wink:
... one of the things stressed by the instructor was to hold your hand out to the side when signaling, and not in front of your body .. again because black in front of black is not very clear

or use smoke signals :D

I've always dived in metric - it seems to be the more common system in the various parts of the world I've dived in. The first time PSI-divers outnumber Bars was when I went to Cozumel last year.

Signals I normally use

Out of air - Cut across the throat

50 bar - pounding on the chest with fist

60 to 90 bar - the 50 bar gesture followed by a finger for each ten so 70 bar would be fist and two fingers

100 bar - is half so the T-sign with two hands

110 to 190 bar - half gesture followed by a finger for each ten bar

There are variations but as long as both buddies or all group members/guide have an established system, it's OK

When in doubt or if you have a nervous or inexperienced person, it's best to check the gauge, just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom