How many attempts are allowed for PADI DM Written Test?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eth727

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone know how many attempts are allowed to take the PADI DM written test?
I know there are versions A,B. If a student fails A then takes B. If fails B then takes A again and so on? I'm embarrassed and worried to ask my instructor.

I'm sure the shop wouldn't have you sign up for the course if you weren't absolutely ready. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be just fine. :)

If you're worried about failing the exam not ONCE, but TWICE, I think you've got more important issues to discuss with your instructor.

:d

But seriously, while comprehensive, the exam is not difficult. It is designed to make sure you know your stuff... not prove that you don't.

Does anyone know how many attempts are allowed to take the PADI DM written test?
I know there are versions A,B. If a student fails A then takes B. If fails B then takes A again and so on? I'm embarrassed and worried to ask my instructor.

As I remember it, the DM exam isn't one big honkin' test. It's broken up into half a dozen or so individual multiple-choice exams which can be (and usually are) taken at separate sittings.

You've got what you need in the DM package, so:

1. Do the knowledge reviews in the DM manual (the "soft skills" and pedagogy), and
2. Work your way through the Diving Knowledge Workbook (the theory and practice)

If you understand (or even "mostly understand") what you've done in (1) and (2), you'd have to show up dead drunk and blindfolded to fail the tests.

As I remember it, the DM exam isn't one big honkin' test. It's broken up into half a dozen or so individual multiple-choice exams which can be (and usually are) taken at separate sittings.

There are eight required PADI Divemaster Exams: Physics, Physiology and First Aid, Equipment, Decompression Theory, Dive Skills and the Environment, Supervising Activities for Certified Divers, Supervising Student Divers in Training, and PADI Divemaster Conducted Programs.

I'm taking each section at a time. I've failed physiology twice and another student has failed physics twice.

Hi Eth
I failed physics, was absolutely hopeless.
I got tutoring in the areas I was having trouble.
You should have a workbook, it really helped me,
During my IDC it was a problem as well, again tutoring,

Think it is important for your instructor to know how you are feeling,
that way they can help you where you need it.

I don't believe PADI addresses this issue, so it's probably up to the instructor. He/she is the one who would sign your DM application.

You might rather focus on addressing the reasons for dual failures. Does the instructor need to provide more resources? Do you the candidate need to take more initiative? Do tests just intimidate you? etc.

I suggest you resolve to not take another test until you have high confidence that you will succeed.

I'm taking each section at a time. I've failed physiology twice and another student has failed physics twice.

By all means, talk to the instructor then. He/she is not doing their job properly if they have two students failing tests multiple times. Something is missing/lacking in their instruction, if only effective remediation.

Did they review the questions you got wrong? Did they discuss why you got them wrong, what the correct answer was and why, and what materials to review in order to "get" the concept?

PS - did you get the same questions wrong the second time?

By all means, talk to the instructor then. He/she is not doing their job properly if they have two students failing tests multiple times. Something is missing/lacking in their instruction, if only effective remediation.

Did they review the questions you got wrong? Did they discuss why you got them wrong, what the correct answer was and why, and what materials to review in order to "get" the concept?

PS - did you get the same questions wrong the second time?

Can take the tests as many times as need to..but after 2 failures I would ask if the instructor is doing his/her job..As RJP wrote all wrong answers should be reviewed and fuly understood why response was wrong.Even if test passed and there are wrong answers those answers are to be reviewed and fully understood ..I am in the process of teaching a DM course now and some of the exams my student passed with 100% on 1st attempt and others needed full reviews and he then passed on 2nd attempt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom