New mooring line on Jungle Gym - Lake Travis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lake Travis Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
K-valve and Zinc placed a mooring line at Jungle Gym today, opening up another dive site on Lake Travis. Current lake level is FULL, this site is at 115'. Some hazards and entanglements need to be cleared before charters begin to this site, it will be cleared before the Swamper Campout on April 24/25. Check out the dive report by Zinc at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/texas-swamp-divers/262057-dive-condition-reports-31.html.

Space is filling up so put in your reservations for the Swamper Campout weekend. Don't miss your chance to do some boat diving!

Robert
www.LakeTravisScuba.com

Attachments

• IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Mooring is (supposed to be) vertical from surface to JG. Not sure if it's currently weighted properly to maintain a straight downline. If shore diving you may be surprised just how far out the mooring line bottle is. This is really a boat only option.

Orange down line is still there running from ledge

further north on same ledge is second white down line to large tree, then south connecting to JG and the hanging tree beyond that

who is the maker of the blue and black drysuit? I have not seen that style before...
Sorry for the distraction; we now return to the thread.

Thanks, Andrew

USIA out of Oregon. All their suits are custom made so you pick the colors you want. Below is the result of my shopping post a few years back:

You can find pics of my new USIA drysuit here:

ScubaBoard Gallery - USIA Aqua Pro Plus Custom Drysuit - Powered by PhotoPost

I ordered a custom USIA Aqua Pro Plus drysuit from the only USIA dealer in Texas as listed on the dealer section of USIA's website.

I shopped online for a few months and gathered information from many scubaboard users.... a BIG THANKS to ya'll that contributed!

After reviewing the many options, I narrowed down my selection by deciding I wanted the following features:

- Trilam suit - no inherent insulation or buoyancy... only what you put in it; quick to dry; many thermal insulation layers possible
- Custom cut - reduce drag, provide proportionate space for bubble across full body dimension
- Latex socks - allows wide choice in over-boots and insulation w/out going to larger fins.... I use Converse Chuck Taylors... idea from Gillty (thanks). They work excellent and the simple canvas design keeps bubble out and dries quick
- Pee-valve - don't want to have to hold it or pee in my own diaper :l:
- Large thigh pockets - with minimal profile drag, especially when empty
- Thermal Undergarments
- Warm neck seal
- Under $2,000 - Enough said

I first went to DUI, the "Cadillac" of drysuits (by price anyway)... I priced out my suit online and hit @ $3,600. No go... I approached a LDS I sometimes DM for that's also a DUI dealer and mentioned I was looking for a drysuit under $2,000. Even w/ a discount they couldn't make it happen... We didn't even factor in any options :shakehead:

USIA was next... I drove 200 miles to Garland and placed my order w/ the only USIA dealer in TX.

$1,700 :monkeydance:

The experience didn't go well... the owner was unfortunately having health issues that ultimately led him to put his business up for sale, on Craigslist... I truly wish him the best and that his health situation improves.

Fortunately, I contacted USIA directly with my concerns and they arranged to ship my suit directly to me.

I placed my order Dec. 10th and was quoted 8 weeks production time for delivery due to the holidays. The suit was ready exactly 8 weeks later and on week 9 I went diving, DRY:D

I only have 4 dives in the suit, but am very satisfied with it's appearance (custom), fit (custom), and all the features I wanted.

I WOULD EASILY RECOMMEND USIA TO ANYONE CONSIDERING A DRYSUIT.

That is regardless of budget, although if you have limited funds, you might just find yourself there anyhow....

GREAT SUIT, GREAT PRICE

Over 100 dives in this suit and still love it :cool2:

Even though I've dived this site 4 or 5 times before I totally failed to find it :shakehead:
Either the orange line is missing or my navigation really sucks. Any bets which is most likely ?
Viz near surface was pretty bad.Below the thermocline it was maybe 10 feet.
Air temps in the nineties made a 3 mm wetsuit seem a sensible choice. A bottom temp of 56 degrees made me revise that opinion :D Seems unusually cold.Normally low 60's this time of year.
Saw probably the largest tree I have ever seen in Travis.On its side with the roots still in place. Loads of lines (yellow and white) running everywhere,look like they've been there a long time.

I've missed the orange down line before, probably went right under it. Found it on way back...

Where was the tree on it's side w/ the old lines?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom