Dive center in GRAND SIRENIS HOTEL - RIVIERA MAYA? - Just dove in fresh new waters!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nous3etleschats

Registered
Reaction score
OK, I admit it, I'm only snorkling but my husband is a level 2 certified diver!
Dove once but it is not my cup of tea..yet!
I am looking for a happy medium travel destination that will allow both of us, plus our non-diving 14 yrs old son to HAVE FUN in or under the water!.
We've been going Santa Lucia, Cuba for the last 9 years as it was a safe, let's say it: cheap and great diving place. But honestly, we got fead up of the food and the snorkling possibilities. The beach is moslty sand with grass, with occasionly sea star, ursin and...lion fish. Not too exciting. You can see great stuff at the reef barrier: $25/person, 3 hrs catamaran adventure...nice but costly.
We are now looking at GRAND SIRENIS in Akumal but I cannot see any dive centre operating at the hotel: does anyone has more info for this hotel?
Thanking you in advance.

I've been to Sirenis yearly the last 2 summers and used the dive shop there more for the convenience of not having to rent a car or taxi, or walk the one half mile from where the bus drops you off on the highway close to Akumal. The staff "claim" that they saw a Manatee last year, and that was even after I purchased the 10 dive package! The dive shops at Akumal are highly regarded as well. My experiences have been positive, no safety problems and seem very reasonable for the packages that they offer. They have thrown in free rental equiptment in the past. There are plenty of good dive sites within a 20 minute boat ride in the area. The cenotes are more like 45 minute drive along bumpy dusty roads but are a once in a lifetime experience, the water is colder so you'll need the wetsuits that they provide. My wife and I will be there Aug 3-11 again this year. Hope this is some help to you. Doug Kidwell

Your husband can dive and you and your son can just wade into the water and snorkel around the inner reef( about 150 ft off the beach) They have it marked with bouys so you don't get in the way of boats. Thell your husband to go to the Akumal Dive Centre, they are very good. My favorite dive shop in the area is back towards PdC in PuertoAventuras at Aquanauts, I've been diving there for about 4 years now.

Thank you very much for your reply, it is truly helpful.
We've been to Akumal beach club 3 years ago and my husband dove with the Akumal dive centre and did 1 cenote dive...which he REALY enjoyed.
It appears that the Grand Sirenis hotel dive operator is a no non-sense choice and we're more than fine with this. Thanks again for your help.
Hoping you enjoy your upcoming vacation,
Marie-Josée, Christian & Thierry

I've been to Sirenis yearly the last 2 summers and used the dive shop there more for the convenience of not having to rent a car or taxi, or walk the one half mile from where the bus drops you off on the highway close to Akumal. The staff "claim" that they saw a Manatee last year, and that was even after I purchased the 10 dive package! The dive shops at Akumal are highly regarded as well. My experiences have been positive, no safety problems and seem very reasonable for the packages that they offer. They have thrown in free rental equiptment in the past. There are plenty of good dive sites within a 20 minute boat ride in the area. The cenotes are more like 45 minute drive along bumpy dusty roads but are a once in a lifetime experience, the water is colder so you'll need the wetsuits that they provide. My wife and I will be there Aug 3-11 again this year. Hope this is some help to you. Doug Kidwell

Thank you very much for your reply, it is truly helpful.
We've been to Akumal beach club 3 years ago and my husband dove with the Akumal dive centre and did 1 cenote dive...which he REALY enjoyed.
It appears that the Grand Sirenis hotel dive operator is a no non-sense choice and we're more than fine with this. Thanks again for your help.
Hoping you enjoy your upcoming vacation,

Your husband can dive and you and your son can just wade into the water and snorkel around the inner reef( about 150 ft off the beach) They have it marked with bouys so you don't get in the way of boats. Thell your husband to go to the Akumal Dive Centre, they are very good. My favorite dive shop in the area is back towards PdC in PuertoAventuras at Aquanauts, I've been diving there for about 4 years now.
Thank You "Still New"!
I really appreciate the fact that we can snorkle WITHOUT having to swim our way through boats!
Our Akumal Bay snorkling experience was hasardous as we had to swim our way through boats and we were breathing fuel fumes through our tuba! The Grand Sirenis hotel seems to be a great alternative...unless someone has a better reccomendation!
Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom