Joint replacements vs. depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phreak-Out

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just received my OW cert this past Sunday - but was wondering if I'd experience at deeper depths any problems with a metal implant? I had a hip replacement 1 year ago (Feb 08) with a metal on metal (cobalt-chrome).

I've been down to 41ft so far but looking to further that provided no issues as mentioned above =)

Thanks in advance.

Not a doctor and I don't play one on TV.

IMHO I would say take it a step at a time. Scar tissue does have an increased risk of DCI. Is that a major factor? Don't know. So try a dive 10 feet deeper and work you way down. Keeping in mind a Basic Open Water diver is suppose to stay above 60 Feet until they receive deep diving training in the Advance Course. How deep do you want to go? Most of the good stuff is in the first 60 feet or less.

Thanks for the reply
At the very least I'll be going AOW, would like to see reefs but also deeper wreck sites.

Talked with local dive team members who all of course say 'call DAN' - so that's my next step.
This last surgery was #24 for me and surgeon gave me the 'ok' but would like an experienced
scuba doc for best recommendation.

Divers Alert Network aka DAN is always the right choice. Don't be in a rush to take the AOW. Take some time at BOW diving and getting comfortable with the skills you already have before you add more to your plate. Diving to 100 feet when you are still buoyancy challenged is not good. IMHO get 30-50 dives in and then go AOW.

Wreck sites are often beyond recreational limits so that will be a whole other course. Special training and equipment is required to penetrate a wreck. Human nature being what it is, "just looking at the outside" soon becomes "looking out from the inside". Without the property training that could be deadly.

Recommended reading "Diver Down"

Thanks for all your input Passley, I was more thinking AOW next year at the earliest and for now concentrating on working with my new gear and yes, buoyancy and some fun dives to get the experience I'll need (and want). Gives me lots to look forward to! =)

Had both knees total joint replacement done. One in 2001 and the other in 2004. Take it easy and do the therapy. When you feel your ready to go and extend your diving experience check with your Doctor first then if all is okay do the training and get the experience. As far as depth goes, both my knees have been doing fine at depths 300'fsw>. Good luck.

My wife has been diving since her hip replacement (due to severe osteoarthritis at age 45) . Actually the hip replacement was part of the start of our diving. Due to it and problems with her left foot (tendon removals - long story ) we gave up skiing and started diving.
She does great with the artificial hip and diving. From our experience it is highly recommended. 5 tropical weeklong dive trips and local (cold water) as well.

Thanks again for info, my hip replacement was at age 31 last year - My doctor actually encourages me being in the water and is quite happy that I'm as active as I have been the past year since the surgery. Did three 5k walks for charity last year and started diving in past month. I love swimming so had been going to the gym and doing pool lengths swims, 10-15 laps a few times a week since last June or so once I cleared doc permissions.

The steps at Blue Grotto had to be taken nice and slow but I made it :) seemed the equivalent of two flights of stairs fully geared (minus fins ofc) and my dive buddy was nice enough to walk behind me should I have needed assistance.

Had a total knee replacement a year ago March, and did 17 dives in Feb/March this year,without any trouble and some were over 100ft deep.

Thanks all - with now having 40 dives logged some at depth and others in the 50 degree temp range I can agree that I don't have too much of an issue. I found a great pair of flippers that are decently easy to get on. I just have to take it a bit slow when gearing up and if there are stairs descending to the dive site. It's been 40 fantastic dive and can't wait for my next! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom