s-90 Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

floridafish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
At the link below are pictures taken in Sulawesi with the S90, Inon S-2000, Sea & Sea YS-27, Inon WA, and Inon 165 macro (x2).

http://lroubos.smugmug.com After clicking on the gallery, click on upper right for "Slideshow"

Overall I really enjoyed using the camera and being able to change the wet lenses was wonderful. A majority of diving was "muck" for which the macro lenses were perfect. There were sufficient changes in subject sizes on one dive which would have been missed if not for the wet lens. I found the S-2000 to be a fine strobe--I only used it on TTL (no manual).

The maco wet lenses are great, however, they have an extremely narrow range of focus--from about 1 to 1 1/2 inches--sometimes it was difficult to maintain the proper distance with any current running.

I used the camera on AV, therefore, it almost always used 1/60 speed. Most of my subjects were fairly stationary so this was not an issue. With faster moving subjects, I believe I would have tried TV (1/125 or so), and let the camera pick the f-stop.

Adobe Lightroom was used for editing.

Thanks for looking.

FF

Last edited:
Great pictures - which housing are you using? I'm considering a camera upgrade, looking at the S90 and the G11. I like the more compact size of the S90.

S90_391.JPG

I used an S-90 during a trip to Bermuda and posted a few pics on this site. Hopefully, the link above takes you to one of them.
I used a plastic housing with no external flash (I'm a newbie) but there is an aluminum housing that's very nice and has attachments for external lights. Without getting too involved, the plastic housing allows manipulation of 2 of the 3 dial controls whereas the aluminum housing allows manipulation of all 3 dial controls.

Nice pics by the way.

Thanks for sharing... really enjoyed the photos. Being a land photo enthusiast, I hope to someday get into underwater photography.

Awesome shots!

I appreciate the comments on the pictures.

To answer a couple of questions:
Housing: I am using the FIX housing with the 28 adapter. I initially had trouble getting the macro lens to fit on the adapter, but by putting the lens on and off, I finally got it to work perfectly. The housing is very nice, and easy to use. I have the back dial set to adjust the F stop when in AV, and that worked well as I would change frequently (F8 for macro) and maybe 5.6 for other types of pictures. As I did not shoot manual, it wasn't necessary for me to use the front adjustment for shutter speed that the FIX provides. Next dive trip I will experiment with manual.

Macro: I generally kept the lens toward the wide end, and then zoomed in a little if necessary to enhance the composition when using the wet lenses. With both macro lenses on, definately had to zoom in due to the "barrel" effect. I did shoot with the camera macro setting (without the wet lenses) if the subject was too big; I probably zoomed in a little more in that situtation.

Trip length: We were there for 10 days of diving with 3 dives per day, so did about 30 dives. For the slideshow, I specifically tried to include as many different creatures as possible. This was my first trip to the far east, so most of the creatures were new to me. Our dive guides were just wonderful as we wouldn't have seen many of the creatures without the guides help.

FF

Last edited:
That is a heck of a housing for twice the price of the camera, ouch. But as I've read, I believe it is the only housing that gives you access to the dials, with the others (Canon and Ikelite) you have to use the buttons.

Thanks for the information. Again, great job on the pictures!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom