Piranhas In Kentucky?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scowens

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My daughter said there were no piranha's in Kentucky. I said, "OH yes there are". She said no there are not. Would you fine folks please educate her, since her dad can't.

Thanks

KY Piranha- AKA Bluegill, Bream, Sunfish. They tend to really like sores, moles & ear lobes, but are opportunistic & will nibble on just about any exposed body part:D. Once 1 starts, then a frenzy starts. There's no relief other than to get out of the water. They tend to be particularly thick at Pennyroyal, with a couple years of bumper crops of babies.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...photo.jpg/585px-Lepomis_macrochirus_photo.jpg

Don't let their innocent looks fool you! They are very dangerous!

They can also be driven into a feeding frenzy when your "buddy" on shore throws a hand full of crushed potato chips or crackers into the water next to you. :crafty:

Well..I live in SoFla. We have Lionfish. Some of which they say came from recreational aquarium owners who released them.

I went to college in Indiana in the 70's. In my Frat house a number of the Bro's had piranhas in aquariums in their rooms. Non of them took the fish when they graduated. Some got other Brothers to maintain the tanks (feeding them goldfish from the pet stores) but most of the fish ended up in the Wabash.

Here is a T-shirt that I designed a few years ago for our group here on Scubaboard. It's a caricature of what a "Kentucky Piranha" looks like. :D

KPPgill

How much more proof do we need? Dad one, daughter zero.

One more. When the Kentucky underwater mythbusters were working on the beer can exploding at depth myth; we found some time to explore the feeding frenzy habits of the Kentucky Piranha. What we found is any exposed body surface can and will start a feeding frenzy of the local species....Wearing a hood will protect your ears, your lips; that is a different issue altogether...........Do you dare go into the water?

[/QUOTE]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom