Bringing dive gear to Oz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello all - I realize this is an aged thread, but I was hoping to get some current feedback
My wife and I are moving to Sydney next month (from Hong Kong). The moving company provided us with a list of prohibited or restricted items. Diving Gear was included on the restricted/subject to close inspection or treatment list.
> What is the practical impact on traveling in and out of Oz with dive gear - is it still kosher as long as you declare and indicate that it has been washed?
> Does it make any difference if you only use the gear for saltwater diving?
> Are dive knives considered weapons/contraband?

I do not see dive gear listed on the customs site as something that needs to be declared, but we are going to err on the side of caution after watching the border security show on cable.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I have never heard of anyone having problems bringing dive gear into oz.

I have never been questioned about where i used the gear (salt or fresh water) and whether it was washed after after use.
My wife came back from the states a couple of months ago after doing some dives in Catalina and had no problems.

I have never had any problems with dive knives either, I think that they expect divers to have knives.

I would err on the side of caution and declare it to customs ... if there is a problem with it and you have not declared it, that is when they tend to get a bit nasty.

Welcome to Oz :)

Hello all - I realize this is an aged thread, but I was hoping to get some current feedback
My wife and I are moving to Sydney next month (from Hong Kong). The moving company provided us with a list of prohibited or restricted items. Diving Gear was included on the restricted/subject to close inspection or treatment list.
> What is the practical impact on traveling in and out of Oz with dive gear - is it still kosher as long as you declare and indicate that it has been washed?
> Does it make any difference if you only use the gear for saltwater diving?
> Are dive knives considered weapons/contraband?

I do not see dive gear listed on the customs site as something that needs to be declared, but we are going to err on the side of caution after watching the border security show on cable.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I spent a month in Australia, from the 6th of May til the 6th of June of this year. I told the customs and immigration folks I was there to visit friends a scuba dive, they never asked about my dive gear. I flew into Brisbane so I dont know if that makes a difference, but I had no problems whatsoever. My wife and another friend of mine flew down and met me for the last 10 days I was there and they had no problems bringing in their dive gear either. They never even questioned the dive knife i had in my dive bag.

When we flew via Brisbane the security there was really careful to check that non of the divers had their dive knives in their carry on as most had their regs in carry on. you won't have any trouble as long as tthe knife is in the checked luggage.

You may want to check in to the Aussie diving section.. We start a thread normally month beginning to 15 and 15th to end of month where we post pics from around the country and give dive reports. The Invade the Rock is going for the third year ... we have had a great time with the last two years. That is an easy day's drive from Sydney.. maybe we will see you around:happywave:

Hi Diver K
I have shipped boxes of dive gear from Thailand, PNG and HK.
As long as you have each item listed on your manifest it will be okay.
Keeping all the dive gear in one box I had to pack the box infront of someone from the shipping company.
Avoid using the word knife. It is a dive cutting tool or dive safety knife.
Your shipping company will handle getting it through customs. You may have to have it sprayed but I doubt it. I am also a chef and travel o/s regularly with up to five chefs knives and cleavers in my bags. During check in I declare I have knives in my bag and they will sent me to restricted Items check in. There my bags are inspected, the knives are shown to be in their own sealed container and my bags are marked and on their way. When reaching my destination, I collect my bags from the restricted baggage zone. sometimes works out very efficient way to fly, as the bag does not fly in the cargo hold with other luggage, and is often unloaded first.

That would be nice... there are a fair few of us in Sydney area

Back
Top Bottom