Tel Aviv Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I might be coming for a week (if lucky two) for some work/training in Tel Aviv and was wondering if there are any diving opportunities around there.

I might be coming for a week (if lucky two) for some work/training in Tel Aviv and was wondering if there are any diving opportunities around there.

No Mediterranean diving in Israel?

There are some local dive sites in Tel Aviv, including a fairly sized wreck (accessible by boat only, and you need to be lucky to have vis better than 2-3m).

IMHO, Tel Aviv is not worth diving.

If you have the weekend for diving, you can try going to Eilat, otherwise there are some nice sites in the Mediterranean sea further up north- only problem is that you need luck to have good sea conditions, so you can't plan in advance..

Local saying here is that "You dive the Med Sea not when you want- but when it allows you to" :wink:

Eilat, on the other hand, is like a pool: it has more or less excellent sea conditions about 360-362 days a year.

How far is Eilat from Tel Aviv?

How far is Eilat from Tel Aviv?

Eilat is the southernmost town in Israel, about 400km from Tel Aviv- something like 3.5-4 hours drive.

It is doable in a single day- some friends start at 4AM, get there at 8AM, get about 2-3 dives and back home at night.

In my opinion it is crazy and dangerous (the driving back/forth after a tiresome day), so if you have a weekend to spare it is a better idea.

So I arrived yesterday. Gone diving today.

First dive was Sea Wolf. Sea conditions were excellent. Maybe 1ft waves? Practically no current. Visibility (before people stirred up silt) was 30-40ft at least. It seems like a nice wreck to explore if one had more time. AL80 tanks are really not the best for 100ft or so dive. I would prefer something like HP119.

This was a "group" dive. I like the guide but honestly, I do not need a baby sitter. I do not like being asked every few second if I am ok etc. I am an adult and can plan and execute dive esp. one with quite decent conditions.

Second dive was some reef on our way back. It was so so. I like micro life but didn't have time to explore little nooks and crannies around the reef. Viz was probably 15-30ft range and less at the end. Guide was bit too fast for my taste.

This is a little better diving than local quarry but it is not even close to diving wrecks of NC.

Next weekend Eilat.

If the sea conditions permit it, I'm available for diving in the general TA area most of the time.
Drop me a PM and we can set it up.

Back
Top Bottom