Maine Diving Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the ocean, will a 7mm farmer john be enough? I don't own a drysuit. I will likely only have time for two or three dives max so what are your picks for the very best sites in south Maine?

At that time of the year you will be very confortable in a 2pc 7mm set.

I mentioned some prime sites above. I would hold off on actual selection pending conditions.

Pete

I might be up visiting some friends in Cape E about the same time that you are planning on being in ME. I have never dove in ME but I am always up for a dive and might be able to convince my friends to dive as well.

Keep in touch! Vacationland awaits.

Pete

Cant wait! Can I get your phone number within the next couple weeks? I checked out your site, very well done!

I live in Maine and have only dove it for check-out dives and diving with a seals off the Isles of Shoals. Most of my 350+ dives have been in tropical waters, so it's great to see how much diving is really going on in Maine!

I would really like to do more diving in Maine, but I'm not sure how it is done, exactly, so would want to go with someone who knows what they are doing. Very different than my exclusive diving in the Caribbean. I understand Eastport, Maine has incredible diving, and there is a hotel right near, where you enter the water.

Eastport is the last place you want to be cutting your teeth at Maine diving. It's cold with major league currents if you miss slack tide.

We're in peak season right now so have some fun.

mainer04270, where in Maine do you call home? Oxford I assume?

Pete

I would really like to do more diving in Maine, but I'm not sure how it is done, exactly, so would want to go with someone who knows what they are doing.

Spectrum's right... Eastport is not a dive I'd recommend to anyone who has never done any cold water diving before. It's not much like the Caribbean at all... low visibility, high currents, cold water (All of my diving in Maine has been below 45F), and no supervision from a divemaster. I think your idea of diving with a knowledgable mentor is a good one, but I'd start a bit further from the bay of Fundy if I were you. The cold and visibility will be challenge enough without the kind of currents a 28 foot tide change produces.

Thanks for the advice, Matt! The current, alone, scares me off! So glad you provided so much info on Eastport. Again, thanks! BTW, I'm in Little Cayman as I write. Two weeks of diving in warm turquoise water!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom