New kit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MA.25

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
New Diver with under 25 dives, i dive colder water in vic, aust. I may move into tech later on. Can you share your thoughts on this gear (pros/cons etc.)

Thinking about buying:

Fins: Scubapro Jet Fins
Regs: Scubapro G250v
Octo: Scubapro R295
Comp: Suunto Gekko (wrist)
BC: Halcyon Infinity

I am also a new diver and here is the recommendations I have received. If you like the way the regs work for you go for it. If the computer suits your current diving needs get it. I have heard very good reviews on the Halcyon BC. A good friend dives one and really likes it.

The other advice I have heard most frequently is...Make sure the items you get can be serviced locally. I've heard it is a real PITA to send equipment out for service.

On another note...I have not been down your way in a very long time. Last trip was to near Woomera and that was in the 1970s. Yikes I am getting old...

New Diver with under 25 dives, i dive colder water in vic, aust. I may move into tech later on. Can you share your thoughts on this gear (pros/cons etc.)

Thinking about buying:

It looks good. The Suunto Gekko is a basic computer though. Where are you diving out of? Portsea. I was there last year around the Richmond area and made my way down to Tasmania. Cheers!

Thinking about buying:

Jets... great!

Scubapro Mk17/G250V pretty good too
Octo get another G250V

However, considering the costs of the 2nd stage G250V, I rather get an apeks DS4/XTX50/XTX50 it's cheaper and breath great too.

Gekko... I prefer the Uwatec tech 2g (can be use as a great bottom timer too)

BC... having owned a halcyon eclipse I would rather go this route:
AL back plate w/ Oxycheq Hog Harness & Oxycheq Mach V wing [DROCpkg] - $375.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

SangP

It looks good. The Suunto Gekko is a basic computer though. Where are you diving out of? Portsea. I was there last year around the Richmond area and made my way down to Tasmania. Cheers!

Yeah down at portsea

Last edited:
.......Comp: Suunto Gekko (wrist)....
If you are not yet familiar with the Gekko, you could see it in action in our online class.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Also worth while checking out the Zeagle gear at DiveTub Home page @ the Dive Tub

I just got my full setup from there and Chriso gives excellent service!

I ended up with:
Zeagle 50d + ZX 2nd stage
ZX octo
SS BP with the new Zeagle donut singles wing
N2ition2 wrist mount computer (does full guage mode for your timer needs)

If you are really chasing the "H" then by all means go for it but there are some very good alternatives.

Current Scubapro is over engineered and over priced from a company that compels over service under the guise of warranty.

Halcyon wings are of a quality unsurpassed.

Why do so many companies re badge APEKS.

Halcyon wings are of a quality unsurpassed.

But equaled by many.

Why do so many companies re badge APEKS.

What other companies rebadge Apeks?

Zeagle did once, but not for many years. Aqualung is owned by the same parent company, but as far as I'm aware they make there altered clones in house.

Dont like scubarpro and many othe rbrands of regs. Too complicated in design as suggested above. As an engineer I have never found a regulator as simple and robust in design as the Sherwood. Simple desing is best design.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom