New Kit Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MA.25

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
New Diver with under 25 dives, i dive colder water in vic, aust. I may move into tech later on. Can you share your thoughts on this gear (pros/cons etc.)

Thinking about buying:

Fins: Scubapro Jet Fins
Regs: Scubapro G250v
Octo: Scubapro R295
Comp: Suunto Gekko (wrist)
BC: Halcyon Infinity

Sounds OK by me.

That's kind of a top of the line assembly, but it's going to be pricey. I can't argue with any of your choices, except to say that I think you could put together a rig you would like as well for a lot less money.

That's kind of a top of the line assembly, but it's going to be pricey. I can't argue with any of your choices, except to say that I think you could put together a rig you would like as well for a lot less money.

I don't want to have to pay more money later on to upgrade the kit if I chose to do do more advanced diving :)

Looks like a solid selection. You know what they say, "buy it nice or buy it twice!"

I don't think you'll be buying anything twice if you stick with that list.

US retail with full warranty, USA dollars:

Fins: Scubapro Jet Fins $85
Regs: Scubapro G250v (with Mk25) $620
Octo: Scubapro R295 $150
Comp: Suunto Gekko (wrist) $250
BC: Halcyon Infinity $800

You'll look good...

US retail with full warranty, USA dollars:

Fins: Scubapro Jet Fins $85
Regs: Scubapro G250v (with Mk25) $620
Octo: Scubapro R295 $150
Comp: Suunto Gekko (wrist) $250
BC: Halcyon Infinity $800

You'll look good...

which store is this from in the US,

thanks

I'm a great believer in "buy it nice, or buy it twice". But what you need to go on with more advanced diving is a backplate and wing that's well made and that works. I've never felt the need for harness or plate padding. I'll reserve judgment on the Cinch, because I've gotten some good reports on it, but the guy I saw demoing it last night wasn't happy, because he didn't get the harness "cinched" up enough, and his gear was sloppy on his back.

The ScubaPro regs are good regs, and ScubaPro stands behind their equipment for long periods of time, and all that's good; but if you are going to go into tech diving and acquire a stable of regulators, be aware that ScubaPro is quite difficult about certifying folks to service their regs, and does not make rebuild kits available to regulator owners. If all you have is one, it's no big deal. But at $100 or more per reg per rebuild, and required service every year, when you get to the 19 regs we own, it gets really painful.

Back
Top Bottom