Best fins to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I pack fewer clothes and buy some T-shirts at my destination, leave the tooth paste and tooth brush at home. They sell those everywhere. I'll take my Jets.

I'm gonna wear the same fins every day, might as well wear the same underwear and t-shirt too!

Underwear? Under your swim suit? You'll be diving, why would you need underwear?

Because I dive in a drysuit!

:shocked2:

1+.

Fins (and masks) are a very personal choice however, and what one divers loves, another might hate....

Best wishes.

Dead on, everyone has their favorite style of fins, there is no "best" fin out there. Personally I loved my simple ScubaPro Kinetix blade style fins that I used in my OW cert, and thats why I bought a pair today as well. I can get just as much dexterity in the water as someone in split fins, and I can keep up with people wearing jets, so for me its a given :)

At most they are maybe 1/2-to-1lb heavier than anything else. Yes, at some point that pound might make a difference when travelling, but to completely rule them out as "not great for travelling" is a bit silly.

I travel extensively with jet fins and never have had any point in time said or heard anyone else say "holy cow, what's in there" when picking up my gear bag.

It's not like they weigh 22lbs!

So I pack fewer clothes and buy some T-shirts at my destination, leave the tooth paste and tooth brush at home. They sell those everywhere. I'll take my Jets.

Do you check your luggage or do carry on?

I have never checked anything and I love the simplicity it brings during the travel, the questions that come up before hand, like can I fit my Jets in my carry on bag with everything else...

FireInMyBones:
Do you check your luggage or do carry on?

I've done both. You might consider getting the Dive Caddy. I'd love to get one, but they are a tad expensive.

In all honesty, if I had to rent almost everything and could only bring one item of gear, I'd bring my Jet Fins and rent everything else. My fins are the biggest factor (when discussing equipment) in me enjoying the dive.

No such thing as "best fin" really. Based on the fins you asked about, it sounds like you are looking at paddle style fins. Here are some that are consistently well regarded and therefore worth checking out:

Mares Quattro, Mares Excel, Mares Volo, Scubapro Jetfin, Hollis F1, Aqualung Slingshot

If you like (or think you may like) split fins, which produce less power per kick but produce swifter movements and less strain on the ankles than traditional fins, I'd recommend Atomic's Splitfins. They're a bit pricey, but come in a decent selection of colors, have a spring heel strap you can add if you like, and have worked well for me for the past 3+ years.

Back
Top Bottom