Oceanic Milwaukee Sucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

utiladude

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My LDS (Local Dive Shop) in Milwaukee ripped me off. I dropped off my Oceanic GT3 regulator with the 'Service Booklet' and original receipts, (the store owner demands the receipts also). When I came back to pick up the regulator the owner of the store told me that he did not have the Booklet or receipts. He proceeded to charge me an extra $40 and now I'm screwed with this Oceanic regulator with no paperwork so I'm paying extra for life. I always found it strange that the original receipts were very faded so when I took photocopies the copies were so dim that no one could read anything. The receipts are printed with ink so is readable but it will fade within 24 hrs.
Sometimes I read advice to support my LDS but this store in particular pulled a nice one on me. Even if he never got the regulator's booklet from me, the store has all the records that I serviced the GT3 every year, I'm sure that the owner knows damn well that I serviced it at his store as I'm supposed to. I couldn't take photocopies that work and know I have no proof that I serviced this regulator. (To get the free parts from the manufacturer I have to prove I have serviced the reg. every year).
The technicians own words "It is store's policy to get the Booklet when you drop off the regulator so when you pick it up all is ready".

Lesson learned:
-If you live in Milwaukee area stay away from Oceanic regulators.
-Service your regulator one month before the due date, photocopy everything before the ink fades (at least in Milwaukee).
-If the stores demands the receipts with the booklet be aware that is a bad sign.
-It's safer to buy regulators that you can have access to parts.

If you had similar experience with this store please PM me. It's sad I had such a bad experience I think Oceanic is one of the best brands and the CDX5-GT3 is a great regulator, is light and compact a real winner for traveling.

I emailed Oceanic but got no response. If I get a resolution I will add a note to this post. I'm having a really hard time to forget about all this, if I do I would feel like a looser. Ironically I still will buy the Octo from this brand but for sure not at this store most probable from the internet this time. I WAS thinking of buying the BC Islander-2 from Oceanic also.

Free parts for life? :banghead: Yeah right ! ! !

Bummer, couple of options. First, I would contact Oceanic directly via phone. They seem to have good customer relations. Second, what was the extra $40 for? If because of them losing your book I would file a complaint with the local BBB.

Is it in milwaukee proper...or..and hopefully not..Delafield? Cause there's a shop in delafield that does both oceanic and aqualung so i can get all my new gear in one spot when i get the money together.

Is it in milwaukee proper...or..and hopefully not..Delafield? Cause there's a shop in delafield that does both oceanic and aqualung so i can get all my new gear in one spot when i get the money together.

......Yep, among two other stores (same owner).

If you decide to buy from them, just be carefull !

sounds like a problem with a shady LDS rather than oceanic. call oceanic and talk to them, give them the name of your LDS and the owner.

Utiladude,

Oceanic has a sub forum here on SB, you may want to try posting there or better yet, PM or email Doug Krause.

good luck,

Couv

I followed the advice and called Oceanic today.
Very fast response, Oceanic will no longer use the booklets system, I'm sure because similar problems like the one I'm having. They asked me to mail them the receipts that I still have, along with the photocopy of the 'Oceanic booklet' they will review them and looks like they will honor the free parts, so at worst I will just have to mail the regulators to Oceanic for the free parts service.
About the dealer, Oceanic will contact the store owner. The customer service from Oceanic
was intrigued about the special ink from this LDS.
I'm preparing and saving for a (long waiting) trip to Bon Aire, for sure will buy the Alpha 8 octo and a travel BC, (leaning towards the Islander).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom