Knowing when to adjust the tanks position in the bands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vjanelle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there any consensus for knowing when you should adjust the position of the tanks in the bands?

I think my backplate is sitting properly, and I can reach my right post and turn it off(left one I have some complications due to my dump valve which is getting rectified), and my isolator is fine too... Problem is that it's not very easy at all, and people seem to agree that it shouldn't be a flexibility problem for me.

I've been able to find lots of information for assembling the doubles, but nothing on the ramifications of moving the tanks up and down in the bands (other than throwing off your trim).

Top band at top of tanks without encroaching at all on the curve.
Top edge of top band just below start of curve.
Top band on flats of tanks just below start of necks.
Top of top band on flat part of tanks 1/4 inch below start of curve to neck.
Adjust plate so you can touch the top.
Trim later.

The higher the tank (lower the bands) the easier it is is to reach the valves.
Unfortunately putting the tanks high tends to make you head heavy.
Most people seem to have the bands as high up on the tank as possible to help with good trim.

I think you have a technique/flexibility issue.

Ever consider sidemount?:wink:

I would leave the bands alone and adjust the plate up and down a little to get your trim right. Once that is set, I think you'll find the valves easy to reach with just a little practice.

The problem with having your tank bands lower than the norm is when you go to rent tanks. Now they are in a different place and that will make things interesting.

There's a lot of technique to shutdowns -- it's not just the position of the valves, but also the way you use your arm. HERE is the best writeup of valve issues I've seen.

I think you move the tanks if a) they're obviously way out of kilter (bands significantly below the break on the tanks) or if b) NOTHING else works.

Just to tell a story . . . I fought with shutdowns for two years, in two different dry suits, and the first time I went to do one in my new Fusion, I broke down in giggles, because it was SOOOO easy. Exposure protection makes a huge difference in mobility, and the problems may not be obvious.

Last edited:
Have you tried all the tricks that you can read about for reaching your valves? Using your head to help push the arm, stretching your suit on on the surface before donning the rig? Etc etc. One of my GUE primer instructors said that moving the bands on the tanks is almost always not required.

One trick I just learned and which has helped me a huge amount is closing my exhaust valve while floating at the surface and pumping my drysuit full of air. Like jacked up. Then stretching waaaay out while floating around, inside the suit. That stretching action means, for me, I can EASILY reach all my valves no problem.

I add this here because this is one trick I haven't read about, and it turned out to be the clutch move for me.

(Apologies if I have added nothing to your research!)

VI

Just to tell a story . . . I fought with shutdowns for two years, in two different dry suits, and the first time I went to do one in my new Fusion, I broke down in giggles, because it was SOOOO easy. Exposure protection makes a huge difference in mobility, and the problems may not be obvious.

It's really just the one arm. I'm just trying to make sure that an extra half an inch either way will help with the pain when repeatedly doing this. The right arm in my Trilam Tech HD Pro isn't that bad. I can do 2-3 shutdowns on that post before the muscles get tired.

And actually, I'm trying someone's fusion out tomorrow night, and there's a demo day on Saturday. I just hope it isn't too revealing.

Have you tried all the tricks that you can read about for reaching your valves? Using your head to help push the arm, stretching your suit on on the surface before donning the rig? Etc etc. One of my GUE primer instructors said that moving the bands on the tanks is almost always not required.

One trick I just learned and which has helped me a huge amount is closing my exhaust valve while floating at the surface and pumping my drysuit full of air. Like jacked up. Then stretching waaaay out while floating around, inside the suit. That stretching action means, for me, I can EASILY reach all my valves no problem.

I add this here because this is one trick I haven't read about, and it turned out to be the clutch move for me.

(Apologies if I have added nothing to your research!)

VI

Yup, if I don't do stretching before on the surface and after inflating the suit all the way, I can barely touch my shoulders, let alone my valves. After adjusting the plate, checking out my suit, etc, I think I'm on the last step which is seeing if moving the tanks around is the last step to making this fluid. I'm doing a doubles mini with Todd Powell to make sure it's sorted out, but in the meanwhile I'm just making sure I learn everything I can possibly learn.

Link is fixed, sorry -- that's one of my favorite tricks.

Van Isle, we call that "blow the suit up, float on the surface, go a little head down and STRETCH" the Raoul maneuver, after Raoul Alvarez, a local GUE diver who used to do that. It's kind of funny to hear someone ask, "Have you Raouled?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom