Have you lost your weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During my first O/W dive in my class, my weight belt went down around my ankles. Being a bit "stout" I not only have no hips, but a nice belly to help push the belt down. I made the mental note then that whatever else I bought for equipment, a wt integrated BC was on the list. I have had no problems since as far as weights go, and more importantly, I find it much easier to place the weight where I want it rather than trying to get a belt in just the right place.
Dmentia

When I was getting my advanced certification there was another group of beginning divers in the water getting certified for open water. As all the divers had to perform of removing their weight system and putting it back on, one diver had trouble. It seems that the dive shop which issued the belt did not examine it close enough. There was a retaining clip missing. So when the diver took of the belt. The weight started stripping off. He had to struggle, holding on to the dive master, to keep from rocketing to the surface. After hearing about that, I feel better about the integrated weight system.:cool:

I use an Oceanic Tour APS BC and dropped one pouch on a dive in the Bahamas. Fortunately, we had just worked in from deep water - any earlier and it would have dropped to 6000 feet.

I noticed immediately, and was able to fin down hard and grab it, but I felt like a cork trying to float away.

I use an Oceanic Contour with integrated weights and have never lost them as they use a clip type retaining unit. I do not put all my weight in there but wear a belt with 4-6 lbs as well and have come close to losing this. After I decend I'll recinch my belt or will likely find it slipping to my ankles or from my back to my front.

? how did the weight slip out of the oceanic cabo? I thought we used the same system and it is really a secure system?

I somtimes use an IDI Advantage BC. I have a hard time pulling out the weights let alone have one fall out. I couldn't see how you could have one drop out unless the weight integration was set up wrong. The latter is a possiblility since they can be a spatial nightmare to arrange. But once they are in-they are in! And they are much, much more comfortable than a weight belt.

I hope to get an integrated weight system on my future backplate and harness rig.

I've seen people loose their weight belt or their integrated weight pockets during dives. Most have occured because of improper "closing" of the fastners.

Me -- ah I hate to admit it, but I too have experience the loss of my belt. Worse - it happened while DMing -- and I didn't know it! During an OW class they had been doing the tired dive tow, after which we headed off to to some u/w skills. Much to my surprise I found it VERY difficult to descend. I ended up hauling myself down (very embarassed to do so). When at the bottom, I started checking everything - removal of air from BCD, then when I check my waist - egads, while waiting for the students to arrive at my position for the tow, my belt came off!

The ribbing I got... well beers were paid, and much laughter occured. But that is the only time I've ever lost weights!

Back
Top Bottom