Tank Weights Placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GRAPE APE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Have a wing BCD and a tank weight strap. I am looking for advice on the best placement of the 6lbs of tank weight - which I have yet to try out. From reading other posts - I am sure the answer is "it depends" and it can be relocated to adjust trim. I'm a newbie and haven't done enough dives to figure out how good or bad my trim is currently. It feels fine - but I am sure I could improve.

I guess I am looking for the best place to start - knowing I can move them for each dive to try out different combinations. I think being a new diver though makes it hard to understand what is "better".

Anyway, I was going to try them first near the lower/bottom end of the tank. The main reason is simply since the wing BCD pushes me forward on the surface I thought having tank weights attached low might help me stay on my back at the surface. BUT... I get it... weights are for underwater trim - not for surface adjustments.

Rest of my weights are around my waist in integrated ditchable pockets. So if I put tank weights at bottom then all my weight will be grouped at my mid section.

Would love to hear advice from any experienced divers.

On the face of it I'd say your idea of placing the weights low on the back of the tank to compensate for your rear inflate BCD pushing you forward on the surface, isn't all that bad of an idea.

That's one big limitation and potential danger of rear inflate BCDs and if you can play around with the weights to solve that problem without messing up your underwater trim I'm going to say that you're onto something.

Having all your weight in one area is not necessarily a good idea. If you are using an aluminum 80 you will be weighted feet down. Try the weight above your tank strap first. This will help balance the lead and help your trim.
One of the things I have learned from the pro's here is that underwater trim is more important than surface trim.
If your face is getting pitched forward on the surface let a little air out and you should be fine.
Get Wet!

First I heard of trim weights was around ankles for drysuits. How stupid, for people that didn't learn how to use drysuits.

"They" then introduced integration "again".
Why? Was the bc with tank and regs to light?

I'm wondering who will introduce trim weights for the neck or nickel sized ones for the mask.

Having so much weight, incorporated in the tank breathing bc package leads to herniation and high boat staff grumbling.

How is it that something so simple is being constantly more overcomplicated and spoiling the fun.

Used to be a 1hr dive was a 1hr dive. Still is for me.
Now by the time you do everything "they" suggest you do it's time to go home.

Go and test it yourself rather than listening to garbage.
Possibly with someone watching not hypothesising garbage.

i never used a "standard"bc i have used a back inflate since i started. yours should have weight pockets up high on the back under the wing. i found that if i put most of the weight i needed in there the bc trimed out much better for me. just a slight head down trim. i am still positave with the back weight so in a pinch i can ditch my intagrated pouches on the sides and be positive. i also flound out that letting all but a min of air on the surface helped alot with the pitching on my face. if you roll over on your back the weight up hi in the back also helps keep you there. i do it like this. in my 7mill farmer john i need 26lbs so i put 10lb( the most thay will hold) up high and the rest in my weight pouches. i also found if you put your wieght in the bottom hole in the weight pouch it seems to help a bit with the pitching. try it and see

The main reason is simply since the wing BCD pushes me forward on the surface I thought having tank weights attached low might help me stay on my back at the surface.

My rear-inflate BC used to "push me forward" until I re-positioned my weights. Moving 8# to the top cam strap helped me immensely (lots of weight - cold water diving) and my BC no longer "pushes me forward."

It is noteworthy that it could well be that in my case (as well as yours) it was not the BCD pushing forward, but the weights pulling forward. Check the positioning of weights on your weight belt. If you use integrated weights (I don't like them), are the weights exactly at your sides? If they are positioned even slightly towards your stomach then you may be experiencing a pull rather than a push.

Can you hover in a horizontal position without finning or waving your hands? If not, you may have good buoyancy but the trim may need some work. If you end up naturally re-orienting to a head-up position you need to move weight up your back - the top cam strap is a good place to start.

How is it that something so simple is being constantly more overcomplicated and spoiling the fun.

Go and test it yourself rather than listening to garbage.
Possibly with someone watching not hypothesising garbage.

This guy would probably prefer to live out of a cave using a fire to heat his "home" and to cook his food because microwaves and heating units and other technological advances that have made life so much more enjoyable are "more complicated and spoiling the fun".

He's also suggesting that rather than learn from the experiences and mistakes of others, to go "figure it out for yourself" because you're just wasting your time asking these questions of those who have already figured it out.

Thanks everyone! Very helpful.

11x- I don't have any weight pouches under the wing unfortunately - Sherwood Outback BCD. I guess I'll try with the 6lbs on the tank weight belt attached at the top of the tank.

mpetryk - Never thought about the weight "pulling" vs "pushing". I think that is exactly what is happening. The BCD is slightly too large for me - bought used for a steal but can snug it up with adjustments, though if I bought new I would have gone one sized down (and been a hell of a lot poorer! - get what you pay for but when you are just starting out you quickly run out of funds in this sport.). Anyway - the side integrated weights seem to be positioned more forward rather than on the sides as I have most all straps tightened fully down.

Also Stakanak & 11x - good point. I need to remember not to over inflate like you might do with a jacket. I guess I am normally thinking more air in wing = better floating capabilities = better survival!. But I get the physics of it. Will need to work on it.

knowone - you sound angry - everything ok?

I used to dive a Zeagle BC with integrated weights. The BC also had trim weights which were designed to be used on the lower tank band. I found that moving them to the top tank band gave me better trim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom