Stupid mistake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahh yes. I've done something simlilar. I had my rig setting on the back of our truck in Bonaire on a windy day. I looked away for one second to say something to my buddy and WHAM! Down goes my rig landing on the reg. snapping my octo hose right off. Thankfully that's all that was damaged and I was able to get it replaced back at the shop. Major ego buster though. I've become totally anal about not leaving my tank sitting up ANYWHERE that it could fall over now and will preach to my future students about not leaving your rig sitting up ANYWHERE. :D

Been there, done that. Many years ago I was setting up for a shore dive from the Papa Hog pier on Cozumel. In the time it took for me to set up, and run down the stairs to step into my gear, another diver returned to shore, and started to take their gear off, knocking my stuff over onto about a 3 foot drop in the sand. First stage never worked properly after that and I had to replace it.

i will remember this, cause i let mine stand most of the time. untill i put my weights in then like the original post mine get forward heavy so i have to lay it down.

thanks for posting, you are human, we all make mistakes . At least it was a mistake on dry land, not underwater, those sort of mistakes are harder to get forgiveness for!

TANK VALVE COULD HAVE BROKE CREATING A MISSILE.

Actually, it won't. Mythbusters tried this. The closest they could get to it was a really big tank on it's side and some rig to shear the valve off. The tank slid across a floor and went through a cinder block wall.

Before you get too excited about this, it's pretty easy to punch a hole through a cinder block wall. You can punch a hammer head through it with one swing.

It was the inertia of the huge tank that did the damage. I wish they'd tested it again to see how much force was generated from the escaping gas BEFORE the tank built up a lot of speed and kinetic energy.

-Charles

I wish they'd tested it again to see how much force was generated from the escaping gas BEFORE the tank built up a lot of speed and kinetic energy.

Until someone does, a rough estimate would be about 1300 lbs, based on a 3000 psi tank with a 0.75" dia valve opening completely removed.

I haven't done that one but I've had plenty of brain farts and done stupid things.

I once strided in with doubles with my necklaced octo over my 7' hose during a class. The instructor gave me a OOA drill, when I handed off my primary, it moved about a foot. We hovered there for a minute or two mask to mask, him breathing my primary, me breathing my octo and trying to figure out WTF I had done. Notice I said "once". There is no better learning lesson. I haven't made that mistake since.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom