Shark attack response

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw this in a.. um.. documentary...

Throw a scuba tank in its mouth then shoot the tank with a rifle... it will blow up like a small nuke and you will be safe till the next movie.

I'm pretty sure this only works with hyper-intelligent genetically altered sharks...

Stab 'im right in the nose with an icepick. Yes, an icepick. The one you just pull out of your pocket; the one that just stabbed you and made you bleed and brought the shark around in the first place. :wink:

You're scenario is one of the reasons I like diving with sharks. For me it's a food chain adrenalin thing where I'm not necessarily at the top anymore. If a shark grabs you and you need a practical weapon I'm thinking you're in a lot of trouble. I always figured sharks are like any other top predator, say like a lion. Lions are cool if you stay in the jeep but if you get out and approach them and they decide they are hungry...well you're in a lot of trouble. :shocked2:

I think it's good to be prepared, and good to run over scenarios from time to time. That's what our training is all about - it doesn't take much to grab a tank and blow bubbles, but our training prepares us for the other scenarios that might unfold.

A member here (Thal?) mentioned glittering aluminum squares to distract/divert them, didn't he?

For the most part, they are more afraid of you than you are of them. You are not on their list to eat, and they see you as some alien monster blowing bubbles. You really can't fend off a shark with a knife, you're only going to piss them off. Then they will bite you. I just dove with countless Sand Tiger Sharks (Ragged Tooth Sharks) in the 10-12 foot range. Never a problem. Just don't do anything to get them upset (grab their tail, etc).

If all else fails, and they really do come after you, knock them hard with the butt of your knife in the snout. But the best defense if they are really going to bit you or your son is to try to poke them in the eye. Good luck, that rarely happens. Listen, the drive to and from the dive boat is much more dangerous than the sharks you will be around. I keep my distance from bulls, but even they don't really want to be around you. Relax and enjoy them. They are amazing animals.

Good comments. And thanks nshuff. I was about to make the same comment you made, concerning my buddy (my son). I don't think I'll let him read the comment about cutting your buddy, and out swimming him (LOL, LOL).
So far, based on comments, it really seems like there really isn't a "popular favorite" effective weapon, other than the bangstick mentioned earlier, or banging with the butt of the knife, although my little BC knife doesn't really have a nice blunt end. Guess I need a Rambo knife :cool2:. Thanks again for the thoughts. If any others, I would still like to hear them.
And again, this is just one of those scenario thoughts I get on occassion, and not something that overshadows my dives.

This response might be laughed off, but I'm not kidding. My relatively short time in the underwater realm has lead me to conclude that fish are psychic. I don't think they can pick up on the actual words in your mind (i.e. fish don't speak English), but they nonetheless seem receptive to motive, feeling, emotion etc. I think the best way to avoid a shark attack would be to put out a vibe of "I'm just a guy scuba diving, I don't want any trouble" or something along those lines. Semi-example: Have you ever had the experience where you're not in a bad mood, but then your girlfriend/wife says: "why are you in such a bad mood" and you say "I'm not in a bad mood." Then she says "fine, if you don't wanna talk about it..." then you say "I'M NOT IN A BAD MOOD!" And, Goddamit, now you ARE in a bad mood. She was so convinced that you were in a bad mood that she actually created a bad mood within you even though there wasn't one before. I think a shark can be triggered in a similar way; albeit non-verbally. Just the mere act of you thinking that this creature is vicious, bloodthirsty, something to fear tremendously, etc. can make the shark act in a way it would not have acted had you just been cool, impressed, etc. (this kinda explains how that guy on '60 minutes' could safely swim with Great Whites...he puts out the right sorts of mental vibes, the sharks pick up on them, and no sort of violent reaction is triggered in the sharks).

Okay... to actually answer your original post. Assuming that your buddy is the one attacked by a shark while diving. Since you don’t know if you will have time to respond to the actual attack all you can do is have your “what if “ plan. I have a severe case of catastrophic thinking so stuff like this comes easy for me. Assuming that in the below scenario that the attack occurs during the dive (not on the surface) and it is your buddy that is attacked (not you). If you are diving within relatively proper buddy formation you should be close enough to assist.
1. Assuming shark bites them and doesn't let go immediately, then fight shark off with punches to the eyes and gill area if able. You are correct that the attack may be over before you can actually respond.
2. After shark lets go...
a. If buddy is still conscious after attack, make sure they have their regulator in their mouth (shaking by shark may have knocked it out).
b. If buddy is not conscious and regulator is in their mouth put your hand over it to hold it in during accent.
c. If buddy is not conscious and regulator is out of their mouth keep your octo right in front of their mouth during accent if possible. That way if they regain consciousness it will be immediately available.
3. Assist buddy with an immediate emergency ascent to surface, as controlled as possible. Depending on extent of the injuries you will need to make an immediate judgment call on this one. Drop weight belts and both do a buoyant ascent, or emergency swimming helping your buddy? Depends on if buddy going to bleed out trying to do a controlled accent to keep him /her from also having a DCS injury to complicate matters.
4. Keep lookout for shark. -- fight off again as necessary...
5. Once on surface, inflate both your and buddy's BC's for positive buoyancy, drop weight belts if needed. ... Scream like hell for assistance and start toward boat/shore
6. Work on stopping bleeding as soon as possible.
7. Keep lookout for shark… fight off again as necessary.

Understand that I LOVE diving with sharks. It is always a special treat to see them. I never assume that they will attack me, but I know it is a very, VERY rare possibility.

I don't dwell on running into sharks but have posted more than once that I wish only to see them on Discovery Channel. Out of curiousity, is it not odd that there is no effective weapon (with safety catch, of course) on the market that would deter, neutralize, or even kill an attacking shark? This sounds offensive to those who like swimming with these admittedly magnificent creatures, especially as such a weapon would sometimes be used unnecessarily. Even those times would be a drop in the bucket compared to the fishing industrys' damage to sharks. At any rate, if such a weapon becomes available, count me in.

Back
Top Bottom