Travelers Checks in Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mamerrin

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
How easy is it to cash travelers checks in Utila?? Are there any specific places I should make note of the cash travelers checks in Utila?:blinking:

I don't know the aboututila.com write up date but Archie's cashed my traveler's checks as of mid-July 2010.

mikey

I don't know the aboututila.com write up date but Archie's cashed my traveler's checks as of mid-July 2010.

mikey

Yep, Archie will cash your travelers checks. There is also a fairly reliable ATM on the island these days.

Most of the dive shops will take traveler's checks, but $US only. Contact them in advance to be sure. Usually they have you countersign & date but leave the payee blank. Many in Honduras pass these countersigned traveler's checks around as if they were cash. However, never leave home without an ATM card. Minimize fees by making maximum withdrawals. In Honduras the ATM's tend to run out of money Friday evening, and do not get reloaded until Monday afternoon.

Archie is the only place you can cash a TC on Utila - he does so regularly . The bank won't take them anymore and because of that a lot of businesses have stopped accepting them for payment as well. Archie does a pretty good rate and works out of a shack next door to Munchies Restaurant.

If you have Visa or MasterCard you can use the banks ATM and also draw cash over the counter inside the bank (if you can put up with the hour long queue).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom