Help Me Choose the Perfect BP/W Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theod

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I've decided to take the plunge and get my self a BP/W setup. I've been looking at the Dive Rite stuff online and I like what I see. Unfortunately I don't know what is good and what stuff to avoid. So lets go shopping shall we!

Here's what I need: I would like to get the most versatile rig possible. Although I'm a new diver I have in interest in doing cave, and tech diving in the future. I want to have the option to run many different setups. I want simple but would rather have a backpack style harness for ease of donning and the comfort of nice thick shoulder pads. I'm willing to spend the $$ to get the right stuff the first time. I would probably only get one wing for now and I mostly dive single tanks for now. If you put a list together please include price and maybe a synopsis of why you chose what you did. Also I need a complete list down to every nut and bolt since I don't have anything remotely BP/W related. Have fun.

My advice: Call Tobin at Deep Sea Supply. He'll work through the kind of diving you do and the exposure protection you use, and help you choose precisely the right setup for YOU.

I will tell you that the majority of people who buy the fancy harnesses switch to simple ones fairly quickly. And that buying a setup with the expectation that it will work for single tanks and double tanks will be a disappointment, because most likely it won't work very well for either.

If you are interested in technical or cave diving, the cost of a doubles wing will be completely unnoticeable in the total cost for additional gear and training.

And from what I hear Tobin works well with folks that buy complete rigs. I second what she said. I bought an OMS IQ pack and switched. I did it because I'm going to more of a DIR set up (although not a DIR diver). Less is more. That said, I did love the IQ for it's comfort and easy donning/doffing qualities. Personally, I don't think there's that much difference in plates. Everyone would love to get the best choice right away but I think it's pretty rare.

PS: Halcyon seems to have a GREAT reputation but lives by the "you get what you pay for" motto. Expensive stuff but if you can afford it, good stuff.

I dive a SS TransPlate. I got everything on sale from different vendors. Just about any SS BP with slots for tank cambands will work. Check out SCUBAToys for prices and ideas on SS BP, harness, wing (Such as Mach V), 2" padded crotch strap, maybe an SS STA. Also check Dive Rite videos.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BackPlate_Wing_Package

The TransPlate includes all parts. Check DR site for Specs.

I would not hesitate to recommend the DiveRite setup to anyone. I have been diving mine for around 10 years and love it. You can configure it to do just about anything that you wish. I have dove mine in the Florida caves and mostly in the Gulf of Mexico. In the winter when wearing a wet suit I take out the spine and back pads and in the summer I when I am not wearing a wet suit I put them back in for more comfort. You can tailor the fit perfectly as they sell different size shoulder straps and waste strap. I would go onto their website and check it out. They have a sizing chart there also. Best of luck.

I also highly recommend calling Tobin at DSS. He is the master of qualifying and selling you exactly what you need. Most backplate you get will most likely be able to do both single and double tank diving. You will definitely need two wings (get a singles wing now, wait on the doubles wing), but that's okay. Focus on single tank, DIR/GUE/UTD-compliant equipment for now, and you will minimize the need to re-buy stuff later down the tech path.

Everyone will recommend their favorite brand in this thread. But I think it’s best to dive as many b/p w's as possible before you purchase. Not all are equal.

Personally, I like Halcyon. It costs a little more - but IMHO, you can't go wrong.

It’s important to stick to a simple harness without permanent built-in padding or plastic buckles, to make sure the rig will meet the requirements for whatever training you choose in the future.

I love diving my BP/W’s :)- have fun!

For DR stuff, give Edd @ caveadventurers.com a call......He can help you out....

Tobin at DSS or Halcyon. I chose the Halcyon because of the cinch system, I have limited shoulder flexibility and the cinch is much easier to get in and out of for me.

It's hard to recommend a set up without knowing if you are a warm or cold water diver (or both) and if you dive wet or dry.

Your BP/W rig can run from $460 to $900. No matter the setup you choose, well worth the $ IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom