places to learn to dive and vision questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have made the decision to learn to dive as my partner can already dive and i see it as a hobby we can do together. the only problem being is i am a student and low on funds, my uni had a sub aqua club but does not anymore, so i have the problem of finding somewhere that is within my budget to learn to dive.
where in europe is a good location to learn to dive? taking cost of course and quality of instruction into account,i go on a week long holiday most summers and was hoping to do my open water course at the same time.
also i wear glasses and have a strong prescription and am unable to read without my glasses,is it possible to get a mask with my prescription in it and how much is it likely to cost me,i have a year to save and get myself ready and will work my way through the padi book in this time.

Thanks for any help you can provide me with.

Mike

A prescription mask shouldn't be too expensive. Our shop sells the mask for $59.95 and each lens is $29.95 no matter what the prescription is. The only rewason it could cost more is if the shop charges you to install the lenses. I wouldn't pay for that though because it's not that hard to do yourself.

Personally I wear contacts. It's much easier and cheaper.

Apologies to OP, I haven't been keeping up with the thread.

The qualification is recognised world wide. Additionally, BSAC has branches all over the world. This is another not often recognised benefit of membership. When travelling, look for a branch, it can really cut diving expenses. Usually, the branch would receive you like family and extend all its facilities to you.

Other significant benefits are Third Party Liability insurance and a pretty decent monthly magazine. All included in your membership fee.

I used to use the "bifocal" lenses. One problem is that I found I really had to close one eye and just look through one of the lense inserts to read my gauges. The other problem is they tend to fall out. If I were going to go back to them I would Krazy Glue them onto the mask--the heck with being able to transfer them to another mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom