The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is the picture I referred to

33504_144863865535675_100000361863269_307157_4873733_n.jpg

This is about 1/4" in length, but the interesting point is the second one to the left of first. I can't even guess at its size. I didn't see it until it was transferred to my computer

I can verify it is alive, because I have other photos (not yet posted) which show it moving to climb the twig

Does anyone know what this is??

View attachment 81044

Good find! That looks kind of like the Long-spined sea biscuit (Plagiobrissus grandis) in the Humann Reef Creature book. I can't say for sure, because I've never seen one in person. I saw something similar at BHB and someone said it was a sea mouse:

Try the Name that Critter forum - those folks know everything.

Name that Critter - ScubaBoard

We had a great dive on Saturday and met up with some other ScubaBoard folks. For those who aren't following that thread, I'll post some pics here too.

THANK YOU very much to KBeck for organizing the picnic and for showing us around underwater! She was an excellent tour guide. We saw quite a few things we had never seen before at BHB, including but not limited to:

Upsidedown Jelly
Aug_14_10_BHB_Dive_016-1.jpg

This poor, scared little web burrfish (it was already inflated when we saw it)
Aug_14_10_BHB_Dive_054-1.jpg

This octopus (atlantic longarm?) acting strangely. If that lasts more than four hours, see a doctor.

Aug_14_10_BHB_Dive_069-1.jpg

Guess he didn't like that wisecrack.
Aug_14_10_BHB_Dive_071-1.jpg

And last but not least, the headshield slugs. I don't know how you all find those things. KBeck had to practically pick them up before I figured out what she was pointing at.
Aug_14_10_BHB_Dive_085-1.jpg

Overall, it was a great dive at the bridge. In some places, the vis wasn't too great. not sure why:
Aug_14_10_BHB_Dive_088-1.jpg

Deb, the one you pointed me to on Saturday... have you had a chance to look at your images of it yet? There is one next to it that is about 1/10 that one's size.

I am resizing pictures now from yesterday and will post shortly

Edit: I just looked at your picture again. You have two Lomanotus vermiformis there. One on top and one underneath it

Yup saw that & figured you would too once you saw the big one. I didn't think you had that one yet & was quite happy to see you & willing to wait until you finished with the friendly yellow jawfish. That pike blenny near the pipefish had been free swimming before he went back into his home. I hope he started again while you were there.

PS The pic I posted was from last week & that 2nd one was bigger than the smaller one you got in your photo which is very nice and my photos of that one weren't good.

Last edited:
Here is the picture I referred to

33504_144863865535675_100000361863269_307157_4873733_n.jpg

This is about 1/4" in length, but the interesting point is the second one to the left of first. I can't even guess at its size. I didn't see it until it was transferred to my computer

I can verify it is alive, because I have other photos (not yet posted) which show it moving to climb the twig

This is a great shot & it was very tiny. It was on a different branch when I was taking the pics & try as I might I couldn't get them in focus together. It was hard to even get the bigger one & I dumped them all. However, I am happy with the photo I posted from last week. I like yours better because of the size perspective. Guess I should have gone back.

Thanks Trigfunctions and Cooltech.. I was looking in that book last night.. I must have skipped page 385...

Good find! That looks kind of like the Long-spined sea biscuit (Plagiobrissus grandis) in the Humann Reef Creature book. I can't say for sure, because I've never seen one in person. I saw something similar at BHB and someone said it was a sea mouse:

Try the Name that Critter forum - those folks know everything.

Name that Critter - ScubaBoard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom