Breakwater Report 8/11 w Bacteria Warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bogie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I saw a number of divers diving on Wednesday even though there was a Health Warning Posted. So like a sheep (Ram, I’m an Aries) I followed and went for a dive.
I surfaced to about 7 on the pier then descended and went out on the wall. The visibility was OK at 10 to 15 feet. While returning along the wall I went through the most dramatic vertical thermoclines that I have ever experienced. Temperature would go from 52 degrees to 59 degrees and back again until I reached 20 feet then it was a constant 59 degrees and near zero visibility. It felt yucky (poop soup) and I could not wait to get out.

Lesson:
Don’t be a dumb *#ck , oh, I mean Buck.
Don’t dive in poop soup.

Hey, not as bad as a dive boat dumping its head on top of your head.:shocked2:

Maybe it's time to try out a new entry point.

Actually the bacteria in the water at Breakwater were not caused by mammal excrement. This was more likely caused by kelp and other plant materials degradation. The detritus material is dissolve into organic material. The digestion of the kelp from bacteria caused heat to be produced. The smell of rotten eggs can be present because anaerobic decomposition which releases hydrogen sulfide gas.
So the drastic warm thermals was caused by high concentration of rotting seaweed with bacteria eating it for lunch.

Poop soup is a wrong description; rather bacteria lunchtime most likely describes my swim through of natures feeding time.

I saw a number of divers diving on Wednesday even though there was a Health Warning Posted. So like a sheep (Ram, I’m an Aries) I followed and went for a dive.
I surfaced to about 7 on the pier then descended and went out on the wall. The visibility was OK at 10 to 15 feet. While returning along the wall I went through the most dramatic vertical thermoclines that I have ever experienced. Temperature would go from 52 degrees to 59 degrees and back again until I reached 20 feet then it was a constant 59 degrees and near zero visibility. It felt yucky (poop soup) and I could not wait to get out.

Lesson:
Don’t be a dumb *#ck , oh, I mean Buck.
Don’t dive in poop soup.

Does anyone know if the warnings have been lifted? I'm itching to do a mid-week night dive. Guess I'll call Aquarius II.

According to the report, as of 8/17, the breakwater has no restrictions.

However I heard on the news this morning that lovers point beach is under bacterial warning today, Monterey municipal was named too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom