scuba gear and heat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dementid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am getting ready for a dive trip this weekend but since I have to work thur and fri and will be going to the lake from work on sat I am getting my gear gathered up and ready today and my question is besides the regs and computer how would the rest of the gear fair for the next couple of days in the car with this texas heat

reason I am asking is I dont have a lot of space in the house to use as a staging area

Should be OK as long as it is not in direct sunlight. Displays on computers, wetsuits with reinforcing patches, fabrics and neoprene don't like direct sunlight. Plastic parts should protected from heat extemes because of warping. Put it in the trunk and insulate it with towels or a blanket.

Please be careful with Scuba tanks- 5 PSI increase for every degree.
If a tank is filled in cool dive shop and kept in a trunk the burst disk can blow. I have seen this on two occasions.

Please be careful with soft silicone parts as they can discolor and change forms. I have had that happen with masks.

While at dive sites a wet towel covering masks, dive computers and other sensitive items can help.

If need be all you need is a hall closet or small area for dive gear. I keep my mask, dive cards, camera and computer in a backpack and it always stays cool.

Happy diving and enjoy the cool water.

I keep all my gear in the spare bedroom, had to push the bow, pool ques, and road bike to the side to make way for more entertaining sports gear :wink:

well unfortunatly there is no spare bedroom and no garage either so that leaves the trunk or the middle of the living room.

I keep all my gear in a spare bedroom. Thanks to the kids finally being on their own I have the extra room. I hang my wesuit and BC in the garage for no more than a day after I clean it to let it drip dry. I know the hear can wreek havoc on rubber seals and o-rings.

I keep my gear in either the back of a closed Jeep, or the bed of a truck, or sometimes out in full sun for weeks at a time, for years and have had no problems (we chain it down). I have never had a burst disc blow. Masks that warp its due to age, not sun. I'm sure wetsuits would probably keep color longer if kept out of sun but it does not decrease their functionality.
Despite the abuse my gear (and my husband's too) has held up remarkably well over years and many dives. YMMV but it's worked for me! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom