Beautiful Day in Morehead City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man we are getting a great stretch of weather here in NC this week. I had a customer who is coming in a few weeks ask about the weather in September. All I could say was: "It's hurricane season, the weather is fantastic unless there is a hurricane."

As long as its not the weekend of September 11-13th :) I would like to have nice weather :D Especially since I will be down diving with you Capt. James

Last edited:
We dove Olympus a few weeks ago. 2 on the Caribsea the first day (lots of Sand Tigers) and the second day was on the U-Boat, then the Spar (strong surge on that one - and really BIG Sand Tigers). I dove on Olympus many years ago for about five seasons, and then many trips on the Pelican (sold a few years ago). Olympus is a very high quality operation. Capt Bob and his crew were great. There was even a Birthday party for Bud. I would highly recommend them. The boat is big, and it can be crowded, but nobody was really cramped at all. My only negative was my bands broke on my Riffe (hasn't been shot for a little while), which pissed me off. But there was no good grouper on the U-Boat. Couldn't hunt on the other wrecks with all the sharks. Can't wait to get back to Morehead City.

Unfortunately, I remember a "low" category storm as well.

During 2003, Hurricane Isabel decided to pay us a "little" visit in Virginia Beach with winds between 50 and 100 mph.

At the time, my house in Norfolk was at the very end of electric, telephone and cable feeds on my block. Isabel came ashore a Category 1 on September 18, 2003. During the storm, the utility poles for each feed (the last ones on the block in both my front and back yards) were destroyed by falling trees.

41 days later, on October 29th, 2003, a utility truck from the Mississippi Power Company pulled in front of my driveway and reconnected me to the grid. Cable and telephone followed 12 days later.

In that time, I learned the meaning of loss. I watched a neighbor, 3 days after the event, "lose it" to the constant sound of generators. She was never the same. I watched food and gasoline lines form, something I never thought I'd see in a large city. People began to fight each other for the basic necessities. And this was a "minor" storm. It really was.

I ended up moving in with a friend for two weeks to escape the disaster. Don't ever think we are less than 30 days away from Armageddon, because I can assure you, we aren't.

Just turn off the power and cut the flow of food...

:shakehead:

WOW, that is a lot of havoc for a Category 1 storm. Raleigh certain came to a dead halt with Fran, but I'm not sure what strength that was by the time it made it's way inland, my guess was a 1. We were powerless for a couple of weeks. Sinkholes on major thoroughfares, etc.

Seems that a number of Category 1 storms have hit the coast down here and not done too much damange.

Mother nature is in charge for sure.

Yeah, Fran was a Cat 1 when it went through Raleigh. I was living in a neighborhood close to downtown at the time and my power was out for a week. Massive flooding and huge oaks and pines down everywhere. At the end of my street, two massive oaks came down, completely blocking the street with the power and phone lines completely wrapped up in them.

IIRC, it was a Cat 3 storm when it hit the coast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom