Jellyfish bloom at BW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right now Friday at 4pm I can't see any jellies at breakwater. There are some small ones on the south side but not a lot. Talked to a guy at Aquarius who said they had moved down toward del Monte. Things can change, but it looks clear from tooside right now.

Have there been any restrictions due to bacteria outbreaks?

diurnal - daily recurrence
The daily movement of the current sea nettle invasion can be partially explained by the semidiurnal tides we experience here in Monterey.
iWindsurf.com - Monterey, Airport Tides

Other factors are involved including the ocean currents, which are affected by the wind and other factors.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/29/s...=2&scp=1&sq=monterey bay ocean current&st=cse

As the presence of sea nettles occurred about this time last year, they are more than likely annual or per annum vice diurnal.

Just got back from 3 tank dive on escapade, was at breakwater this morning, didn't see any jellies from the top of the wall, though boating out we found a lot in the bay. The first two sites, no nettles, the third site, eric's pinnacle, some jellies on safety stop, little ones mostly. Carmel seems to be clear of them

I went out the pipe to the met fields today and at about 30 fsw I started seeing a steady not-too-dense population of small nettles. By the time I got the mets they seemed to thin out. Not hard to dodge them though some people I talked to got stung on the face. (Kristina, thanks for the tip, I felt crappy early and slept to late to see you at K dock)

butterfly house had a few small moon jellies but not a nettle in sight.

Stopped by marina/fisherman's wharf in late afternoon/evening and nettles were numerous all along shore line as far as the eye could see.

Hope they stay on that side of the breakwater for those of you diving san carlos beach

-ken

We dove Friday and Sunday on the Monterey side. Jellies were thick on Friday and much thicker on Sunday. We dove Outer Outer Chase, Hopkins Deep, and the Shale. The last dive yesterday the vis went away on the safety stop (from spectacular below that level) and the jellies were really thick. I think I'm immune to their stings now, I've been stung so much. The diving was definitely worth it. 70' vis on Outer Outer Chase. Astonishingly beautiful.

I read in the newspaper yesterday that a long distance swimmer had to cancel the 23 mile Monterey Bay due to too many stings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom