Cold Feet Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barb

Contributor
Reaction score
I dive with a drysuit and have tried all kinds of methods to try and keep my feet warm - actually, I usually start the dive with cold feet. My question is......
I've thought about applying A535 rub that gives the feeling of warmth to your skin. I wondered if there was any contraindication for this - I'm not sure how this product works (how does it create that warm feeling on the skin).

Please help someone with cold feet but a warm heart!
:) Barb

barb:
I dive with a drysuit and have tried all kinds of methods to try and keep my feet warm - actually, I usually start the dive with cold feet. My question is......
I've thought about applying A535 rub that gives the feeling of warmth to your skin. I wondered if there was any contraindication for this - I'm not sure how this product works (how does it create that warm feeling on the skin).
I'm not an expert on the astringent creams, but some products do increase surface blood flow.
Have you tried some of those spiffy synthetic blend wicking socks?
Please describe what you're currently using on your feet; socks, booties, etc.
What size feet do you have, maybe the gremlins have left a pair of something in my garage again. :wink:

barb:

It's a chili pepper derivative, I think. Creams such as this usually create a feeling of warmth by opening up the blood vessels in the skin, improving blood flow. I don't see any problem with using it.

How about glove or boot warmers, as used in skiing? They're a flat plastic envelope, about 2"x3". You scrunch them up and they provide warmth for a couple of hours.

I used to always get really cold feet (my toes would turn white) even with up to three pairs of wool socks. I ended up buying some neoprene socks at a local sporting goods store. You can find them by the waders used for fishing.

I now use one pair of wool socks and these neoprene socks and although my feet still aren't toasty warm (in 50 degree water), they aren't cold. Bacially, I don't think about my feet much now whereas before, my feet were freezing during SI's.

The neoprene socks made enough of a difference that I can recommend them. They only cost 15 or 20 bucks so it's worth a shot. You won't be toasty warm but it should help.

barb:

I've tried the heat rub stuff (Ben-Gay) in cold weather out of the water. It sure seemed that I was much colder after the stuff wore off. Your mileage may vary.

In my drysuit, I've gone to polypropylene socks (silk works too) against my skin with a couple of pairs of wool socks or a pair of Thinsulate booties, or some combination socks and booties. Remove the word "cotton" from your cold weather vocabulary. Don't keep on the same socks you wore getting to the divesite.

I'd look into starting the dive with warm feet. Perhaps heavier boots, even "Mickey Mouse" boots (high altitude aircrew boots) wouldn't be out of line for before the dive.

I didn't believe the poly socks would work until I tried them.

Thanks for the responses.
I currently use synthetic wicking socks then "hot paws" (little chemical heating pads) and "ice" wool socks. This is the best combination so far for me.

I've tried 3mil neoprene with a wool sock combination but it was too thick causing my foot to be scrunched in my Rock boot thus circulation was cut off.

I've even tried battery-powered hunting socks.

I wear a woman's size 7 shoe or size 6 Rock boot.

Maybe I'm destined for cold feet while diving at this time of year.
:( Barb

I'd look into starting the dive with warm feet. Perhaps heavier boots, even "Mickey Mouse" boots (high altitude aircrew boots) wouldn't be out of line for before the dive.

Havent heard of them in a while but if you did use'em I refrain from any heavy duty disco or break dancing with those critters

Barb,

Just a thought...

Perhaps it's the rock boots? I haven't dove with them so I'm not an expert. However, I've had two drysuits and don't get cold feet. Both suits had attached boots. Thick neoprene covered with rubber. In fact, with the White's suit, I never even wore socks. They just got in the way. And my feet were toasty.

Paula

One thing I have bee told to be careful about is not to overstuff your boots.

I get very cold feet aswell and I was wearing three to four pairs of socks in my drysuit. This meant that my feet were crammed into the boots so I couldn't move them and the blood flow was restricted making my feet even colder than with less socks on. I switched to a pair of thermal socks made from that light wicking fleece and a pair of Northern Diver fleece socks on top. Result!! Loads of room for my feet to move inside my boots and only got cold feet after a third dive in 6 degrees at the weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom