Tank Boot Splitting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is the second tank boot that has split on me. By "split" I don't mean walked out the door, I mean it cracked.

Now when I install them on I first put the boot in very hot water to soften it and then slide it on the tank nice and easy, so it's not like I'm beating them up or anything. And months later they crack. The only things I can think of is that they might be a bit small in the first place, or just poor quality. Or maybe the tank is expanding a bit while sitting in my hot garage, though I'm sure the tank gets hotter than that when being filled.

Anyone know what's the deal-e-o?

ALUM tank or Steel tank?

if Alum tank, the bottom is flat. Just take the boot off and throw it away and don't use it. A boot could promote corrosion and the boot doesn't offer much benifit to an ALUM tank.

Steel tank, folks want boots because of rounded bottoms.

if you replace it, might want to try a different brand.

Aluminum...I've always used a boot because, well, I thought it was the cool thing to do. And my neon yellow tank looks so much better when it doesn't have dings and stuff. But I think you're right, I'll toss it.

another reason I don't use boots on my tanks is that some of the dive boats have those tank ranks made of 8" PVC with the top cut at an angle. I've had to remove the boots before to get them into the rack

mccabejc:
This is the second tank boot that has split on me. By "split" I don't mean walked out the door, I mean it cracked.

Now when I install them on I first put the boot in very hot water to soften it and then slide it on the tank nice and easy, so it's not like I'm beating them up or anything. And months later they crack. The only things I can think of is that they might be a bit small in the first place, or just poor quality. Or maybe the tank is expanding a bit while sitting in my hot garage, though I'm sure the tank gets hotter than that when being filled.

Anyone know what's the deal-e-o?

What is molded on the bottom of the boot-I make the majority of boots for the dive industry and want to make sure it's not one of mine. Pm me.

Lee
www.seapearls.com

mccabejc:
Aluminum...I've always used a boot because, well, I thought it was the cool thing to do. And my neon yellow tank looks so much better when it doesn't have dings and stuff. But I think you're right, I'll toss it.

Actually, it's the opposite.

Of course this is my opinion. And the dings and stuff mean you dive.

I dread seeing all new looking gear, my immediate assumption is - no experience, lots of money, and a "situation" waiting to happen. Saw it again just last weekend, brand new top of the line Seaquest BC, new regs, bit of an "I've seen it" attitude during the briefing, 30 minutes later I'm shown a gauge with 200 PSI and I'm bringing another one up on my long hose.

sometime between my last fil and today my boot developed a crack...didn't use the tank for anything other than testing the inflator on my 'new' dry suit..... oh well...not going to replace it now.

Not to hijack here but the boots on my tanks aren't for my tanks... They are for the gel coat on my boat!
Kinda odd to have it crack like that though...

I have had this happen with some UK boots I had that were hard plastic, they were pretty tight to get on, then they cracked several months later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom