Nitrox "sign-out" sheet for tank fills at LDS

Do you have to 'log' your nitrox fill at your LDS?

• Yes, it's mandatory.

Votes: 116 72.5%
  • Yes, but they don't enforce it.

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • No.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • No. Are you kidding me?

Votes: 11 6.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A dive shop that I have been going to (out of convenience) does nitrox fills. When you pick up your tank, they have a book where you enter the O2 percentage and MOD, with your name and signature.

I'm curious: For other nitrox divers out there, does your LDS make you do something similar?

I've been diving in the 'Wild West' lately where certified nitrox divers are assumed to know what they're doing. Using such a sheet would be a bit of an eye-roller. Perhaps I've been out of touch too long and this is now the 'industry standard' protocol?

Today the clerk was apologetic because someone had taken the book so I couldn't sign it. Heartbroken, I tell ya, I was heartbroken.
:rolleyes:

had log books at the resorts I visited and used it.
My LDS doesn't have EAN, fwiw.

It's part of the routine. So far, I've only been one place where I wasn't expected to analyze and log my EAN. There, they even tried to put someone else's cylinder on my rig (vacation diving) but they understood when I asked for the cylinder that I analyzed. Then again, I tend to stay away from the Wild West.

There a couple places I have used. 2 Of them make you sign a log book. The other one will analyze it 1st and then let you analyze after them to be certain of what you got.

... as above, and understand that not everybody has their own analyzer or access to one once they waltz out of the LDS on their way to the wild west.

It protects everybody.

All the 'local' shops that I frequent have nitrox logs. One shop is absolutely OCD about filling it, the others not so but they'd prefer you'd do it. Two shops hawkeye that you analyze yourself - which I would do anyway.
In cave country I have not once filled a log, and make sure I am carrying my own analyzer to the shop because the analyzer might even be wandering.

I typically do not do enough consecutive diving locally to justify Nitrox so the only time I have actually dove Nitrox at home was my certifcation dives. At that time I did in fact have to analyze and tag the tank, however there was no log book required (IIRC). Other than that, every vacation location I have dove Nitrox with has required I sign a sheet however it has not been policed so if you chose to leave without, you easily could have.

We require the logbook. You sign out mix, mod, and sign off. I do it, so that if someone exceeds mod, and there is an accident, I cannot be pointed at as having given gas that he did not know depth for. It is all to cover my backside.
I even fill out the logbook for my own dives. All of our tanks are numbered so we know what was filled and who took it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom