Nitrox "sign-out" sheet for tank fills at LDS

Do you have to 'log' your nitrox fill at your LDS?

• Yes, it's mandatory.

Votes: 116 72.5%
  • Yes, but they don't enforce it.

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • No.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • No. Are you kidding me?

Votes: 11 6.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The signature in the log book is evidence that the diver tested the gas and is aware of the % of oxygen in the mix. Sounds like a simple safety procedure to me.

I think the idea of a nitrox fill log to protect the LDS from liability is counter productive. The industry preaches 'always analyse your own gas' and personal responsibility to match your mix to your dive.

The moment you introduce an element of checking and supervision on the part of the LDS, you blur the line.

While I'm not a lawyer, I would think it is just the opposite. The function of the LDS log is to document that the diver DID analyze their own tank, in the presence of witnesses, and attested to that fact.

Further, by the LDS keeping a log, it demonstrates that the LDS is not giving out tanks to non-nitrox certified divers, which is an additional limit should someone do their own fill or get a fill elsewhere and try to pin liability back on the LDS.

It must be understood that just about anyone can be named in a legal action, and the costs associated with simply demonstrating that there can't be liability because of appropriate behavior can be exceedingly costly. A log would seem to go a long way to showing that including an LDS in such a suit would be frivolous.

But that is the perspective of a non-lawyer based solely on what I've read about in terms of a small number of actual cases given as examples in various articles on instructor and LDS liability.

My LDS uses a log all the time for nitrox. Trimix requires no log. Also certain regulars/staff don't seem to be required to log their mixes.

It is very interesting to read of some of the legal cases where dive shops have been found legally liable after an accident partially due to lack of "compliance" with "industry standards." It is very scary to see what plaintiffs in the US can get away with. I have a hard time imagining anyone suing a gas station because they gave them gas for the car that they were not licensed for and crashed and killed someone, but in SCUBA that is indeed the case.

VI

We're supposed to log our nitrox at my LDS but no one at the shop enforces it. We basically show up to their back door, unload our tanks, they fill it and then either stand around and chat for a while or go back to work. I've never been supervised or "witnessed" analyzing a tank after I got it filled. No one has ever verified I fill out the log, either... we're asked to do the date, serial # on the cylinder, name & cert # (although you only have to put that once - after that just put down the certifying agency), mix and then the mod and a signature.

My LDS uses a log all the time for nitrox. Trimix requires no log. Also certain regulars/staff don't seem to be required to log their mixes.

At the shop where I DM and blend we log who filled the tank on a clipboard by the fill station, with desired mix, actual mix, and fill pressure. Then when the customer picks up their tanks they log the mix, MOD, and fill pressure in the nitrox log binder.

Even when we fill our own tanks we need to log info on both the fill station clipboard and then enter our own information in the nitrox log binder as well.

Staff members and customer blenders who don't follow this protocol risk losing fill-station privileges.

My LDS in Croatia makes us analyse/sign/MOD the logbook. They will not give you the tank until you have done so. Then they label your tank to make sure you get that one on the boat.
I am glad for it, nice to know I will be getting my own mix and can dive my plan.

some places yes, some places no. whatever.

That is the normal way to pick up your Nitrox tanks here in Puget Sound. Check mix, mod, tank serial number and then you have to sign off to leave the LDS with your tank.
I know it's a pain but I think it is a great policy as well as something I want to do on my own (not that I don't trust anyone) but it is MY air supply we are talking here so call me corky but I really want to know what inside my tank for sure before I use it.

mix, mod, tank serial number and then you have to sign off

Now here's the little devil in me... What if I got nitrox in a place that made me spend 10 minutes signing off all my 10+ tanks - including digging up their serial numbers (which I think is a bit much). Then I dive and refill them again with nitrox in shop that is a bit more lax. Then I get into trouble - wouldn't it be so much easier to just say the nitrox came from the shop that had me go through all that trouble to get that precious nitrox, after all they have all the numbers and all in their log :D j/k

How long do the shops have to keep the logs? As in if I had been through 3-4 shops and now someone had to chase which nitrox fill killed me that might not have been been recent. I do not mark shop's names on my tapes, and everybody uses the same tapes. If I am dead, tanks can be traced whichever way and I am just curious that are the OCD shops just looking for trouble. Has there ever been cases were the logs have protected shops?

Note, I am not claiming this is bad practice. I just wonder if it would be enough to check the cert. It IS a nuisance for repeat/bulk customers, especially when it's more than just a quick sign off (re: serial numbers, and waiting in line for one malfunctioning analyzer when you forgot yours home). It does not really protect me (customer) in any way after my cert is checked, and I am failing to see big proof how it has protected the shops. Of course if shops can’t be trusted to check certs without this then… And maybe divers can’t be trusted to analyze without this either… I think shops keeping their fill logs is fine for their purposes but going over the top with keeping me prisoner when I just want my tanks out is a drag.

Back
Top Bottom