First night dive tonight.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no question that I'm more dependent on visual cues that most people, but the person I saw get disoriented at night in Cozumel is not like me, and I've also seen my favorite dive buddy lose control on night ascents. Both of those men can dive circles around me. I think it can happen to anybody, if you don't watch your gauges.

I did my first night dive 3 weeks ago. At first, I couldn't figure out why i felt so over-weighted. Then I realized that my new dive light probably was one to two pounds negative. I had just finished park performance buoyancy, and didn't even realize how finely tuned my weight was until the light kept dragging me to the bottom!

Protist, how was the dive?

I dive in Michigan, so everything I do is night or limited vis diving, ya get used to it. Around here we like the winter and early spring. The water is really cold, but the vis is fantastic at that time of year, it's too cold for algae growth.

One additional thing I learned about night dives---your light beam will attract larger fish and they use the light to catch , chase and eat smaller fish. There is nothing like having a 5' tarpon go whizzing 6" beside you to scare you to death. Once you realize what it is, you can relax and enjoy watching it-bur boy!! what an initial fright. Be prepared for the big guys to get really close!!

Vann Evans

I did my first night dive exactly one week ago at Alki in Seattle. It was amazing! Definitely looking forward to more of them. It was a bit cold in my 5mm wetsuit though...

My third dive as a newly-minted OW diver was a night dive, back in 2001, out of Zihuatanejo, MX. It also happened to be the first time that I was glad that OW certification including mask replacement and regulator location and recovery - happily, I remembered my training and didn't panic.

Note to self: Don't follow other buddy teams too closely. :rofl3:

In all seriousness, night diving offers unique challenges and rewards. That first night dive is one of my most memorable - not because the site or visibility was exceptional, but because of the totality of the experience. Come to think of it, many of my most memorable dives were done at night.

How did it go? Were all curious!

Just stopping by to say have fun! Go three times as slow minimally than you do during the day. Better yet, pick a spot and hover for 10 minutes and see what comes out to find you. That's how I like to night dive. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom