G11 w/ WP-DC34 -how do you change settings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

devolution365

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting the WP-DC34 housing for my G11, but before I do I want to understand how to use the Priority modes as well as Manual Mode with it. I understand there's no access to the wheel and I keep reading that you can use the shortcut button and left/right to control aperture and shutter speed, but I can't seem to figure out how to set that up or use it. I'm hoping someone can walk me through it?

-Erica

Sure, in aperture mode (Av) it's easy, hold down the shortcut button and then use the left/right of the wheel (will be buttons on the housing) to change the aperture.

Shutter priority (Tv) mode is the same, select it on the dial and then hold down the shortcut button and use left/right.

Manual is a little more fun since both aperture and shutter are available to change. This time you first can select what value you want to change by pressing the meter mode button (the top right above the dial). It will rotate between meter mode, shutter speed, and aperture. The selected value will have green arrows around them when selected on the screen. Once you have the value you want selected, then press and hold the shortcut button and change with the left/right buttons on the wheel. Takes a few tries to get used to it, but once you have it down it's no problem. What I also do is store two of my baseline settings in C1 and C2 so that I can quickly use them to get started and then modify if I need to from there.

...then use the left/right of the wheel (will be buttons on the housing) to change the aperture

So, the housing gives functionality that's not there on the camera itself?

Not really, the wheel is both something you can turn, and a 4 direction button you can press. The housing only allows for the clicking of the wheel, not the turning. So holding the shortcut button and then pressing the left/right substitutes for spinning the wheel. You can do this same thing without the camera in the housing, but why bother, you can just spin the wheel.

Alright. I tried that before, but just took another look and I was using the wrong button. I wasn't sure if the shortcut button needed to be programmed for this task or what, but now I get it: The "shortcut" button is the "S" button on the upper left corner of the back of the camera. That plus the left and right directional buttons change the aperture in Av mode or shutter speed in Tv. And the button I was using before, the blue square with the arrow to the upper right of the wheel, is how you switch from shutter speed to aperture in M. Now I get it. That's doable. Thanks for the help.

If the G11 housing has the same controls as my G10 Canon housing here is how to change F stop and shutter speed settings in the M, Tv and Av modes.

Push plunger 5 to select between F stops, Shutter Speeds and Focus choices.
After selecting one of the above push and hold down plunger 1 then push plunger 7 or 9 to increase or decrease the respective settings.
NOTE: If you don't hold plunger 1 down far enough the flash setting control will appear with plunger 9 and the macro control will appear for plunger 7. Wait for the control to disappear then push plunger 1 again and continue.

WP-DC28_rear.jpg

These instructions are on the "Sticky" link at the top of this Canon forum.

If the G11 housing has the same controls as my G10 Canon housing here is how to change F stop and shutter speed settings in the M, Tv and Av modes.

<snipped>

These instructions are on the "Sticky" link at the top of this Canon forum.

Thanks, Gilligan. I'm not sure if they are the same since I don't have the housing or any experience with it yet. If someone can confirm that it's the same, maybe you can add "G11" as a search term for that thread so it can be found in a search. ...I did search the forum before asking the question and I didn't find the answer to my question, but your diagram is EXACTLY what I was looking for if it goes for the G11 as well as for the G10.

The housings are the same in respect to the buttons, the dials have all moved up top, but that shouldn't make any difference in this case.

Thanks, Gilligan. I'm not sure if they are the same since I don't have the housing or any experience with it yet. If someone can confirm that it's the same, maybe you can add "G11" as a search term for that thread so it can be found in a search. ...I did search the forum before asking the question and I didn't find the answer to my question, but your diagram is EXACTLY what I was looking for if it goes for the G11 as well as for the G10.

Will do :D

Just a quick note (from a Canon employee) that this trick to change manual settings works on ALL Canon G series housings, right back to the G7, and will likely work on all future models in the series too. I have no idea why it is not documented in the manuals for the housing and/or camera, as it is a FAQ.

Cheers
R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom