Seaquest Balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got my balance last night. It seems to be in really good condition as stated. The "Airsource" seems to be in good shape. I'm going to bring it in and have it checked out but I'm happy with hit. One thing I don't like compared to what I think is a similar bc, a ScubaPro, is that there is only one pocket it seams. Not a huge deal, but I'm used to having a pocket on both sides.

One nice surprise is that they included a BC mounted Wenoka Titanium knife. Which is cool cause I was in the market for a knife and its seems nicer than anything I would buy!

Glad it came it great condition. I have the squeeze knife mounted on mine as well. Easy to get to if needed. If you feel you really need more pockets, there are options out there to add, but I find I never even use the one I have. The extra things I might carry are attached to D rings.

The balance is a great rig, although for some reason not a lot of divers use it :confused: When is your first dive with it?

Not sure. I'm going to bring it in for service on Saturday and hopefully have it back by Wednesday. Then get out and dive next week some time. The LDS is busy right now so he said he doesn't know how quick he can get it done.

Now I just need a light! Hmm, more shopping! :D

One thing I don't like compared to what I think is a similar bc, a ScubaPro, is that there is only one pocket it seams. Not a huge deal, but I'm used to having a pocket on both sides.

My LDS told me when I purchased my Balance BCD that most rear inflate BCDs only have one pocket. Not sure how accurate that is, but that's what they said, and yeah one pocket is a real inconvenience. I don't find the expandibility that great either, when it's fully expanded it's quite big and bulky and it sometimes drops for no good reason, sort of like a undescended testicle with a mind of it's own.

And yeah the knife grommet/sheath attachment is very handy.

Balance is a good BC and the Airsource is a nice way to reduce the hose count. Remember to treat that airsource as a 2nd stage....cap on when the reg is not attached. Ask your service tech how to properly treat it...it could save a few bucks down the road. I have personally seen them in really bad shape from people treating them like any other bc inflator...even in "fresh" water use.

my wife dives the Libra, which I think is the same BC but in a woman's 'cut' & loves it-------in fact, while on Dominica last summer, I used hers--for a quick fix-- for a dive(my Zeagle's power inflator cracked)--I loved it , too....

Yes, the Libra is the Seaquest women's equivalent to the Balance. I just lean back a little on the surface a little to allow for the bladder location and it isn't a problem. The trim and fit under the water more than compensate for any topside inconvenience.

I've been diving my Balance for about 4 years. I will probably buy another one if this one ever wears out. I haven't had the problem dumping air. It does tend to push you forward on the surface until you figure out that proper inflation sweet spot. The only issue I have had is the cable inside the inflator hose rotted and the corrugated hose came off in my hand. I replaced it with a nylon cable for a Scubapro BC. Works great, not sure how it would work with the airsource. I find the pocket hard to access but I don't use it very often. The pocket does tend to expand itself and flop around at times but the zipper hasn't broken yet.

I'd be interested to read if others have this issue as well (or do we just need a Balance tutorial?).

It's funny you guys mention dumping problems. I dive a balance and haven't experienced the dumping problem, but my buddy also dives one and does have the dumping issue. He has the Airsource and I don't, I wonder if it is the Airsource causing the issue and not the bc itself.

but, i have to say, it is pretty funny when i see him doing the "dump dance" :rofl3:

all in all, i think it is a great bcd, i use mine mostly for the pool or helping out with classes, and it never dissapoints me... only thing I wish it had was a crotch strap

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom